You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Light bar

One thing on the coaches I think could be better are our headlights. I am considering adding an led light bar. I was considering the roof but isn't there a law against that? If so how about on the front down by the headlights.. Has anyone considered something similar.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Oh my.

Let's go through a way of addressing this.

First check the voltage at the light socket, engine running, lights on. If you aren't getting 13.7 or better. That has to be fixed first. Headlamps, although labeled 12V, aren't really designed to operate at 12. They are designed for 13.9. The light output degrades exponentially as the voltage drops.

If the voltage is good. Put some new bulbs in. Bulbs degrade over time.

If you still don't have enough light, then we can talk about retrofitting HID lights into the existing location. You can land an aircraft with them.

Please don't put aftermarket overwattage bulbs or HID conversion kits in the existing light housings. Yes, they are bright, but those setups produce an intense glare to oncoming drivers.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Hi Marc,
I believe high mounted lights are illegal. That said when I had an off-road truck set up with high mounted lights (above the cab) they actually compromised vision in dusty, rainy, or foggy conditions.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Marc,

I'm with Richard on this one. There is an entire discussion that Tom started on upgrading headlights. The way that our vintage coaches were wired was not optimal and results in voltage drop and a lot of the "exponential" light fall off that Richard was talking about.

One thing that he did not mention is that the headlight relays are also a source of voltage drop.

With all that said, I would like to have some daytime running lights. I even bought some aftermarket Phillips DRLs. The problem is finding a place to put them.

Oh, well...maybe I should just buy a newer bus with the running lights built in!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

James Stallings at Xtreme Paint and Graphics in Nacogdoches, Tx, can install any high output headlight fixture including LED. Proper wiring and relays are a part of his expertise.

They will look factory original when he is done as modifying the holes in the front of the coach and matching paint (uses BASF Glazrit paint as does Mercedes) are one of his specialties. Did a great job on my motorhome which had a very large hole to close on both sides.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Marc,

No one is poo pooing your idea. I know you drive a lot at night, and so did I before I retired. It's a great way to cover the miles while the kids sleep. Great lights are a necessity. All we are saying is that there are better options than mounting additional lights to the coach. First, see if what you have is working like it should. Second, install something professional that will work great and keep the looks of the coach.

I am all about lights. If you will go way back to the other forum, you will find a whole thread on Euro spec lights, relays, and the search for the ultimate lighting solutions.

You should familiarize yourself with some lighting basics. This website http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html is a great resource for information on do's and don'ts.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )