You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Diesel leak from main tank

i just noticed my main fuel is leaking, it looks like it rusted thru from the outside where it meets the thin piece of plywood.
I removed the fuel from it today and am going to pull it tomorrow. 
I will take some pics along the way and post

Paul and Sherry Schneider
1994 newell coach 366, 38 ft with a 8v92 ddec 2

That is one of my worst nightmares, especially if on the road. I have the same coach as you, only one year older, so I'm really interested in what you find.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Paul what exactly is leakjng?

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

It is coming from the bottom of the tank. The tank rest on a very thin piece of plywood that is placed between the frame and the tank.
It appears the plywood has held moisture over the years and rusted thru from the outside.
I'm not sure there is anything besides removing the tank and replacing the plywood to prevent it from happening.
 I will know more later today when I get the tank out if there are anymore potential leaks.
The metal around the rusted spot is not rusty, only where the plywood made contact.

I recently repaired an aux aluminum tank on one of my pick ups with fiber glass. Cleaned tank real good with wire brush wheel on an electric drill. Next painted area with resin, then applied fiber glass fabric, painted with resin, one more layer of fabric and resin. After curing, painted the whole area. Is still working 5-6 months out. But on coach tanks, I might consider taking it to a welding shop & having a new bottom or at least a large patch welded over the leaking area.

(03-24-2015, 06:31 AM)ccjohnson Wrote:  I recently repaired an aux aluminum tank on one of my pick ups with fiber glass.  Cleaned tank real good with wire brush wheel on an electric drill.  Next painted area with resin, then applied fiber glass fabric, painted with resin, one more layer of fabric and resin.  After curing, painted the whole area.  Is still working 5-6 months out.  But on coach tanks, I might consider taking it to a welding shop & having a new bottom or at least a large patch welded over the leaking area.

Thats my plan. I only want to do this once.
I have also had to repair my waste tank , it was leaking where the anodes were installed. 
It you have the odor control anodes in the waste tank it is probably when and not if they will leak.
They are screwed into the tank into a plastic bung, eventually the anodes rust and expand enough to crack the bung.

Well I got the tank removed from the coach, sorry but did not get any pics as it was dark outside.
I'm pretty sure I found the cause of the leak. The storage tube for the waste tank drain is mounted to the top of the waste tank. 
When the hose is stored it always has a little water left in the hose, it is my belief that over time that water dripping down on to the plywood and keeping it moist is the cause of the rust, the rest of the tank has only a small amount of light surface rust in a few locations.
I am going to look for a better location for the hose storage after I finish this project.
If your waste hose is located on top of the fuel tank, I would scrape the foam insulation off and inspect the area.

Very interesting Paul. I have coach# 365 and had a leaking fuel tank about 10 years ago, but was lucky enough to be able to fix it without removing the tank. I could never figure out how the rust appeared, but I will be moving my hose storage area as well. Thanks for the info. I have the 60 series engine and might have been the first to have it. I believe the first owner must have asked for it.

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

(03-25-2015, 05:09 AM)larryweikartsr Wrote:  Very interesting Paul. I have coach# 365 and had a leaking fuel tank about 10 years ago, but was lucky enough to be able to fix it without removing the tank. I could never figure out how the rust appeared, but I will be moving my hose storage area as well. Thanks for the info. I have the 60 series engine and might have been the first to have it. I believe the first owner must have asked for it.

I saw that your coach was built right before mine and had the 60 series.
One day i will probably move up to one with the series 60 motor but i will say i have been perfecty happy with the 8v92.
I did alot of research before i bought it because i was a little Leary of it.
My dad was a bus mechanic for 40 years working for trailways and greyhound and while not his favorite engine well cared for and not overheated they do well.

I am having trouble posting multiple pics at the same time from my I pad so I am going to put them in different post. This is the picture of the rusted spot on the bottom of the tank

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)