You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Ceiling vinyl

I need to replace the vinyl on the ceiling of my 93 Newell. There are wood strips stapled to the ceiling approximately 25" apart. The vinyl is stretched over these strips, then stapled to the ceiling. It appears that I can just staple one side of the perimeter of the vinyl then pull it taut and staple the other side. I'm wondering if there is a method to assure the vinyl will stay taut. Should the vinyl be warmed or steamed prior to stretching? I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this or if there is a way to find out how it was done at the factory?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Richard has done this

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Warmth can't hurt. You got the gist of it. An air powered upholstery stapler is a MUST. Start in the center and work out. Leave extra vinyl so you can grip it, and trim it off with a razor when you finish.

It will really help if you can cut the piece to fit the space and leave about two inches on the perimeters. It will be a lot of fabric to work with overhead. A partner could be a big help for positioning.

Use heavy duty marine vinyl.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )