You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Spring break

Clarke, what do you have for house batteries?
I just replaced two 8D's with 4 Interstate 6 volt (U220 I think) but I haven't had more than an overnight without electric.  I'm hoping I could go at least 4-5 days without charging.

Thanks

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

I have two Interstate 8d batteries.  Not sure how long I can go without plugging in aS I have solar panels that recharge them every day.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

I replaced our 8d's with Trojan T-105 6 Volts that have a very similar rating to your Interstates. We do have 3 older SOLAR panels that help with day to day and lighting needs. Since doing some LED upgrades we can go indefinitely providing I don't need to use the heaters or watch TV.
I know that Clarke & Elaine put a much more elaborate (and expensive) SOLAR array on their coach. We don't like dry-camping on our Newell enough to upgrade our panels since we will be doing our dry-camping in the vintage Airstream when completed.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

I don't do much dry camping, solar isn't likely worth it for me.  
We're headed to the UP of MI this summer, I'll see how it goes.  
A few lights, minimal TV, and running the water shouldn't be much of a drain.
I think the 6 volts should be significantly better than the 8d's I replaced.

Thanks

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
"Any other Way"

Scott, I replaced my six 8Ds with twelve six volt Interstates. The 8Ds were not deep cycle and would not carry me through the night. No problem so far with the Interstates, but I have not used them to their limit.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Your fridge is probably electric, mine runs good on propane so the biggest draw is the water pump and lights.  
The downside I see is that the generator starts with the house batteries, so if I let them get to low, I will need to start the engine to charge.  Anyone use the engine batteries to start the generator?  Any reason not to?  If the generator is running to charge the house batteries, I can always merge when they are almost to full charge to charge up the engine batteries before shutting down again.  I think this is a better option than potentially running down the engine batteries by merging with the house batteries to start the generator then having nothing start.

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
"Any other Way"

The generator is typically powered by the house batteries (some manufacturers use a separate battery just for the generator) to provide a means of getting the engine started if the engine batteries are dead and merging them with the house batteries still won't start the large diesel engine. It is easier to start the generator than the main engine so it gives you a second chance. If the house batteries are down but the engine batteries are good, you can always start the main engine first without merging the batteries and let the alternator provide the power needed to start the generator without worrying about the house batteries pulling down the engine batteries.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

On my 77 coach I had occasion to use the engine batteries to start the gen by using the merge switch and then left the switch on to charge the whole lot. Have yet to have that arise in the 93 coach.

The 77 coach had but one house battery versus two engine batteries so merging with a depleted house battery couldn't pull the engine batteries down enough prevent the gen from starting.

An emergency work-around would be to disconnect the battery terminals from the house batteries, run jumper cables to the house cables from the engine batteries, start the gen, reconnect the house batteries and then remove the jumper cables. This way you avoid the house batteries pulling down the engine batteries that you would experience with the merge solenoid engaged.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

We have several times had the voltage drop below what it takes for the generator fuel solenoid to operate while cranking. Generator cranks, but won't run. When this happens, we start 8V92 then hit generator start & it always fires right up. Newell told me that our coach has an auto merge whenever the main engine is running. We then use the merge switch to merge batteries whenever the generator is on. We un-merge them when we shut the generator off. That way we can always keep engine batteries charged so we can at least get 8V92 going.

Just got home yesterday from Banff. Awsome trip, we put on 1500miles and head wind for the last 500. I figured 9.5 mpg (us gal) ran the gen for about14 hrs. Hwy speed 70-75 and did alot of touring around edmonton and banff.
I have 2 siemens 90watt solar panels to install and 2 8d house batteries. Was thinking of adding some of those golf cart batteries?
With the 3 furnaces running plus the fridge overnight its not enough, we have to run the gen or plug in.

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd