You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Yet Another Classic Newell Coach Getting Repowered!
Photo 

Coach is headed to Mike's!

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

I didn't see any updates, is it done?
How does it drive?
It must be pretty quick, I only have 325 hp and I'm happy.
Any mpg numbers yet?

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

Apparently I don't have a huge incentive to get this done. I'm scheduled to see a neurosurgeon the 25th of this month to talk about a 3rd surgery, but this time with hardware. If that goes well my incentive level should rise substantially.

The donor coach is still here in Idaho and probably won't get it to Missouri until spring. I bought the Cummins Inline 5/Insite hardware and software to reprogram the ECM, but when I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 it became incompatible. I either have to get another laptop or dual boot my current one to Windows 7 and Windows 10. I don't have an extra Windows 7 disk, so it will probably be easier/cheaper to get a Windows 7 laptop just for the Cummins software. There's also a lot about the ZF transmission that I need to research. They both communicate with PID codes, but I need to research exactly what they are. I bought a OBD II bluetooth reader that is totally compliant with CAN also. Have a 10" android tablet that's supposed to show up tomorrow. With it and the ODB II reader, I will attempt to use an Android app called Torque to create a gauge cluster. I've been playing with it with my truck and smart phone and I'm pretty impressed so far, we'll see how it does with the ISM. Seeing as most of the analog gauges currently in the coach are for a Detroit 8V92, and the donor coach only has a speedometer and front/rear axle air pressure gauge, it makes sense to me to go all digital on the engine and transmission gauges.

This is a sample of what you can do with the Torque app:
[Image: 155626d1376686184-torque-app-photos-1376686178905.jpg]

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86

Best of luck if you need surgery.
Sounds like you will have a sophisticated drivetrain and monitoring system.
I went the other way, I found a 1996 donor, I think it is the last year of the mechanical 8.3.
I hope all goes well, I'd love to see it running down the road this spring.

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

We're making progress on this. Missouri Mike flew out yesterday and he headed back to Missouri with the donor coach. With 1500 miles of driving it, he'll have a good idea of any drive train issues that will need to be addressed.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86

Great to hear Jon! Bet you cannot wait can you?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

once you get this one done you gotta come to az and show it off to me.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Been emailing @"wepaddle4" and getting some great tips on what to do to reduce engine heat after the retrofit. Did a lot of online searching to try and find the best engine bay insulation and pretty sure we'll go with Thermo-Tec 14125 or Thermo-Tec 14120, and get some exhaust heat pipe wrap to help keep the heat down. Now that Mike has a smart phone I'll ask him to send picture updates of his progress. Looking forward to getting the dog house back on the road again!

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86

Making huge progress here, parts are in for a refresh of the ISM...head, injectors, water pump, cylinders, pistons, rings, rod bearings, main bearings and gasket kit. All the 280 hp parts are being replaced with 450 hp parts. I'll still need to reprogram the ECM, but I have all the hardware and software required (only thing lacking so far is knowledge, but I'm working on it). Still working with the developers at Torque Pro to create a digital dash, hope to have that close to finished when I pick the dog house up in Missouri when it's done.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86

That's great news Jon!! Can't wait to see it out on the road with the new engine!!

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd