You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

120VAC Panel Wiring

My circuit breaker panel has all the circuit breakers mounted on the left side and only the main mounted on the right. My amp-meter shows shows current flow only on L1 and none on L2. That seems mighty strange to me. Any idea why it is set up that way. Basically, IF I understand it right, I'm wired for 50 amp and only using one side of the gen supply. What am I missing?

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

My circuit breakers can use either L1 or L2 no matter which side of the panel they're located on. Adjacent breakers are on opposite legs, that's how you get 220v out of a double breaker. Sounds like you may want to identify your breakers and re-arrange them to better balance your load.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

I don't want to be too elementary so don't take offense if this post seems so.  Most Newel's are built with Square D panels and from top down #1 on the left is on one leg of the 240V incoming and #3 is on the other leg.  The left side numbering is: 1, 3, 5, 7, and so on.  The right side is 2, 4, 6, ...you get the scheme.  #1 & #2 are across from each other and on the same leg.  #3 & 4 are on the opposite leg.  

Your generator is 240/120V 3 wire , the same as the incoming from your 50A cord (if plugged to a 50A receptacle which is 240/120).  The loads on leg "A" must all be on and nothing is using leg "B".  It will be the same when the generator is on as well.  If it is not then something is amiss in your shore power side.  The quick answer is to look at the voltmeter while on shore,  Do you have voltage on both?  If so, then balance your loads (as has been mentioned).

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Thanks guys. I have voltage on both sides, but I noticed that with various loads running I never noticed any amp draw on L2. Just to be sure I'm not missing something I'll actuate all the possible loads and see if any load turns up on L2, if not then I'll rearrange some of the breakers.

Jon Kabbe

Put a clamp on ammeter on L2 before you start rewriting the box. You could have a faulty ammeter.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Darn, I never considered that. No use solving a problem that doesn't exist. I've got a surge protector that reads voltage and amps so I can use that to check without removing breaker box cover. Thanks Richard.

Jon Kabbe

The ammeter is driven from a current transformer (sometimes called a donut) that the main lead (there are two) passes through.  The output of the CT runs up to the front where it connects to the ammeter.  those leads are 16 gauge or maybe 14 gauge.  It is quite understandable that one of them could be severed or the meter or CT has failed.  Use Richard's check first and then look at the devices mentioned above.  You are welcome to call me 614-271-7488.  I'll be glad to offer any help.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Gordon: thanks for the guidance, that's helpful advice. It may take a week or so to get to it, we've got a lot on our plate at the moment.

Jon Kabbe

Hey Gordon would be interested to call you about some generator purchases and your opinion... Would it be ok?

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701