You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Leather Restoration

Curious how pliable it is Richard.
I got my '52 Pontiac Sedan Delivery back from paint. Even though it will be a while before I start on the interior I have some power and heated leather seats that are the wrong color. This would be worth trying!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

steve, that is really cool looking.

did you do a modern drive train and steering?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

It is just as pliable as the original. If anything the leather is softer after the four step process.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Tom, it has a '68 Pontiac 400 ci with a 400 Hydro. I am on the track to use reproduction parts and make it a '68-'69 GTO Ram Air engine. I have numerous new parts so this should be a dependable tow car for the Airstream!!

Thanks Richard! I'll give your leather recomendation a try!!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

richard,

how has this held up?

tom

So a year or later, 10000 miles and 7 months full time in the coach, the reworked
Leather requires a quick touchup on a small section of
The drivers seat that was severely cracked
To begin with. Absolutely no cracking peeling or
Fading

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

i am doing the same thing as richard. the only real issue is my seats have these crumpled leather that folds over itself that makes it difficult to get the dye into. we are using a toothbrush to get in the cracks then a water wet lint free rag for the dye. the white crack filler really works well but is taking several coats of dye to go over the white.

i have 3 coats on the drivers back seat part and it is looking very very nice. the bottom seat i have done one coat and the armrests one coat. before i prep the rest of the seat i wanted to see if those pieces could be saved and it looks like a resounding yes.

it is time consuming. to prepare the leather i used a green scotch bright pad in their preparation liquid and then finished off with 600 grit sandpaper. then cleaned again and let dry overnite. i am waiting about 30 minutes between dye coats and let it dry overnight after the 2nd coat.

tom

ended up doing 4 coats of dye on the back and 3 on the bottom. they look like new almost. the armrest the same.

tonite i sanded and cleaned the other seat pieces and will start coating them over the next few days. now that we know how well this works, we are going to redye the couch and two other chairs.

tom

oh and in tru richard fashion we went to an automotive upholstery supply shop and got some foam to put a little more on the seat back and bottom

tom

So when you guys say you dye the leather are you changing the color or just returning it to its original color to match the non-worn sections?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337