You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

AquaHot Exhaust Piping

Here are a few pictures of how Newell did my AquaHot exhaust. Interesting the AquaHot exhaust is insulated and the generator exhaust is not. Roger says it is not necessary from AquaHot's perspective.

I can feel the exhaust gas escaping near the saddle clamp located next to the union. As you can see the exhaust pipe is more visible where it connects before turning up and going to the roof. I think repair is not really a possibility as it is too far gone. Pending news from Newell that it is not asbestos I will take it apart and try to renew as much as possible. More later....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Wow! That looks nasty......looks like it is R&R time!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

A little follow-up and some more questions.

I put on a full face mask and attached the insulation. It cut easily with an exacto knife. I cut the saddle clamps with a reciprocating saw and extracted a very rusty exhaust pipe. The insulation may have contributed to the rust as the uninsulated exhaust for the generator is in vastly better shape. But, there is always a but, the connection to the vertical pipe running through the roof is in very bad shape. It probably should be replaced, but I have no idea how to approach that. As you can see in the photos, the generator pipe and AquaHot pipe join at that location. I was surprised to find those two pipes welded together. It appears I have this very long dual pipe with a 90 on the end running up through the coach. I will not fit if you try to pull it up. One could cut off the bottom and maybe pull it out the roof, but then what? Maybe just go back with two completely separate pipes and use clamps to make a 90 at the bottom.

I have emailed Newells for their thoughts. Stay tuned.... Russ

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

I would be careful and concerned that the pipe is a Secured somewhere on the way up
The way to the roof.

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Now that is the kind of project Tom could sink his teeth into. I'm interested to find out what Newell says.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

As discussed on the forum, I purchased a digital camera with a 3' cable. Perhaps one of these cameras would enable a view of what is inside the vertical pipe. Just a thought.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

russ, i have one of those cameras as well. want me to send it to you?

tom

Tom and Chester,

Thanks for reading the thread and helping with my thoughts and ideas. I actually have a good view up through the ( I'm calling it a chimney ) all the way to the top and can see the sky. The issue is how would one remove the exhaust pipes that have a welded 90 on the bottom that will not pull up through the chimney.
Newell has not responded to my email inquiries.

For now I am concentrated on the other end where the black pipe and union are located. I need to get all that replaced and it is rusted together very well. I have been getting help from Roger who suggests I put a long bar into what is left of the exhaust fittings and try to turn it out from the bottom of the boiler. He says the boiler fitting is very well welded and strong. He advises not to jerk as that would risk shearing the bolts that hold the boiler to the bottom of the enclosure.
He included a figure from the AquaHot installation manual which shows the maximum length of the exhuast pipe and number of bends. It appears Newell exceeded those recommendations. He stated he had never seen an installation with a union. I think the union is there to allow the pipe to fit between two fixed end locations. You would not need it if the pipe just ended under the coach like the installation manual shows.
I still have the fiber-optic camera on my wish list, but I don't think it will assist in this project. Thanks guys!

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

hi russ,

a clarification question. does the exhaust pipe run up through another larger pipe as it goes up to the roof?

if it is not secured as it goes up, could you get the chrome tip off the top, and then drop the pipe down far enough to cut off the bad pieces and start over? that said, where would you get another piece that has two outlets in it....

hmmmm i guess newell custom fabricated that piece.

just now sure myself what to do

tom

Tom,

Look at the picture. It is taken looking straight up the "chimeny" from under the coach. You can easily see the two pipes welded together at the bottom. The two of them pretty well fill up the ID of the chimney.

As to getting it out I see no other way than what you mention. I just cut off the bottom so it becomes a straight pipe and pull it out the top.

I could then use short elbows when making a new one, but how to clamp them would be difficult because there just isn't room for clamps in the chimney and if I put them below the bottom of the chimney I am afraid that will make the pipes too low and subject to getting crunched. They really need to stay at least as high from the ground as they are now. If I could just lay the Newell on her side and slide in a new assembly - or a really really deep hole in the ground :-)

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )