You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

AquaHot Exhaust Piping

Russ,
I've been following your exhaust pipe removal on the AquaHot site. Very informative. Did Newell ever get back to you on whether the exhaust wrap contained asbestos? Looks like your project is moving forward well. When I was racing we used wrapping on the headers. It was amazing how it contained the heat. Are you going to rewrap the exhaust before you reinstall the pipe?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

No word from the factory - too busy to fool with me I guess.

I think I am going to do things differentlly than Newell did. They did not follow AquaHot's suggestions for installation and I think that contributed to most of my problems. The pipe in the air will collect rain water and it will run down into the exhaust pipes with no place to drain. AquaHot wants the exhaust pipe to slope away from the combustion chamber and have a limited length. If a slope cannot be achieved you are supposed to drill a hole for condensation to drain through the elbow. There was no hole in my elbow and of course, no slope as the pipe joined the generator exhaust in a welded transition. AquaHot does not suggest any wrapping of the exhaust pipe and it looks like the wrapping just absorbed water and contributed to all the rust. The exhuast pipe from the generator is not wrapped as it runs under the coach. Roger sees no need for wrapping the pipe.
I am telling you I had to apply a lot of force to break the 1 1/4" pipe free from the bottom of the AquaHot. If it was not for Roger's encouragement, I would never have gotten that done. It will soon be all new again, just different this time. Should last until I spec out my next Newell :-)

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Russ, please do us a favor and post photos of your repairs.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,

You can count on the pictures when the job is done.

Suprisingly, at least for an electrical guy, the black pipe fittings needed are not something you can walk into Home Depot and buy. More work for the UPS truck! Russ

Chuck Clark from Newell did answer the question about the insulation material and it is fiberglass. Some other questions still pending. More later..... Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Hi this is Ralph I am currently repairing my Aqua hot exhaust pipe under my Newell Coach. It bottomed out on a railroad track and smashed the main pipe underneath the coach from the Y joint at the bottom of the pipe that goes through the roof and then curves and heads across the belly to the Aqua hot. Now I do have another pipe approximately 12-18” long and then ends with just the tip of it being open. Now is this supposed to be connected by another pipe connecting the generator exhaust to the stub that I have? Also is there supposed to be some kind of muffler underneath as well right after the pipe exits the belly of the coach from tueunder the generator? It looks like something used to be in place there but is no longer. There may also be a missing pipe missing from generator to the stub I have where the Y divides the pipe going out the roof and the other end going to Aqua hot. I hope I’m not confusing. So basically to recap. When it comes down from roof it curves 90 degrees. At that point it divides into two pipes one of mine is only about 12-18” long and stops with the end being open and nothing attached to it. The other pipe is connected to the Aqua hot on other side of Coach. So my question is, is there a missing pipe from the generator to the Y joint? And also was or os there supposed to be a muffler of some sort under the coach under the area of the generator? Thanks for the help and answers.

If someone can reply back as soon as you can. Thank t is 8:33 PST right now. In the morning Pacific time around 8 am I’m supposed to get this job completed and if there is any pipe or the muffler as I mentioned not needed then if you would please let me know. I don’t want to install something that isn’t supposed to be in place or lack something that I should have. Thank you to everyone ahead of time.

Ralph,  unless I have missed something, there should be two pipes routing exhaust out from underneath.  I’m not sure which year coach you are working on so, I will tell you what is commonly the method of construction.  There are two sources of exhaust gasses, the generator, and the Aqua hot.  Depending on the year, the older coaches route those underneath and joining into one tube with a vertical orientation exiting the roof.  Later models exhausted at the rear.  Someone else may chime in with specific years the vertical stopped being used.

On my 2000, the Aqua hot and the generator join at the point of change from horizontal to vertical.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

The answer is Yes. You should have exhaust piping and a muffler between the generator and that Y junction

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thank you gentlemen for the replies. Ok first yea I realized yesterday that the pipe coming across from the curb side to the Y is exhaust from the AH. I have that fixed now. And then the exhaust from the generator right now is not connected. That pipe coming out of the floor of the coach looks like it has pipe threads on it and possibly wouldn’t be able to unscrew it due to the rust. Not sure haven’t tried yet. But that’s where it looked like at one time there was a muffler in place. That pipe and muffler to the Y is the missing link. I will have it replaced today. I was reading some of the past threads about this and it helped a lot. Two weeks ago I was crossing a RR track and it bottomed out and smashed both pipes near the Y union. Thankfully it wasn’t too bad. It was just past the Y and a section of pipe about 18” long. But with that damage there was never a pipe or muffler attached from generator to the Y. So today it will be fixed once and for all. I’ve only had this 2004 Newell since late December last year. I have learned many things since taking ownership of it. Thank you Richard and best ge man for the answers I needed. On another note and subject I do have an issue with the front toilet. I have replaced the water/air synchronizing valve as well as the vent valve and a pop off valve. The front toilet has two pop off valve aside from the rear toilet having just one. So the issue with the front toilet first is the water pressure is t as strong as the rear. Second when flush cycle is done you can feel and hear air escaping from the vent holes at the top side s of the pop off valve. If I were to hold the pin up on that pop off valve and not let it fall down into the valve I wouldn’t get air escaping this causing the air leak and the compressor to work extra and running continuously. I did run a wire inside the toilet bowl where the water would come out into the bowl to see if there was any obstruction but nothing. I also plugged with fingers some of the holes to force water out the holes that weren’t seeing water coming out into bowl. So by doing this water is coming into the bowl a little better. Still not perfect though. My main issues I are the air and also water. If I were to shut off the air at the toilet shut off valve I will hear water sounds like in the air/water synchronizer valve flowing into the trap. It has me puzzled at this point. Do you have any insight into this issue?

Also a quick note about this toilet issue. I did make sure the air is within the specs according to the toilet manual but as for water pressure I don’t see any kind of pressure regulator. I know the hose comes from the basement through the floor to the toilet. I tried tracing the line from the floor through the base me t but it of course cuts across the basement and to the manifold with other valves on the manifold board. I’ve also made sure that that toilet water is turned on fully. Thanks guys for any info you may have.