You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Refrigerator replacement

Looks great Chappell. Glad you have a fully functional refrigerator again.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Brand & model number?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(04-18-2015, 08:06 AM)qcj Wrote:  Chester, I don't know what is correct, but I leave mine on all the time.  I do cut it down when I'm not using it.

Never turned mine off since owning the coach

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589

Brand Whirlpool  Model WRS571CIDM

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

nice fridge and wayyyy cheaper than the kitchenaid i had to use.

i have been looking at that very fridge to put in my garage.

glad it worked out

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, I looked at Kitchenaid's and could not find one that fit or any other brand that would fit without alteration.  It seems that the Co's change these things every year or so.  The big problem that I found was the top of the doors.  The main body would fit but the top of the doors was taller to hide wiring and water hoses.  This particular model all that came in at the bottom of the door at the freezer hinge.  I looked at about 50 different models of frigs and found one kitchenaid that might have fit, it was $500.00 higher and was a discontinued model and only one left. Another problem these frig's has to be counter-depth and it seems only 20% of the frig's made are counter-depth.  Most are standard-depth only which are about $400.00 to $500.00 less expensive. If Whirlpool changes this one the floor that the frig sets on will have to be lowered and I considered that.  It would be much easier to lower the floor than alter the top.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I think Chappell nailed the essence of the challenge in the research he had to do on which model would fit. I had to do the same when I replaced the fridge in 390. Here is why one should not use a model number that someone else used without first verifying with hands on dimensions that it will fit. It is not safe to assume that the model dimensions do not change over time. Manufacturers do make running changes while in production. It not safe to assume that the opening in your Newell is the same as the opening in another Newell. That should get a chuckle.

When you do your measurements on the floor model, please look at the top of the hinges and the top of the doors where the locking feature will fit, sometimes those protrusions are not counted in the on line dimensions.

Glad you got the new one in and going without too much trouble.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, you are correct.  The Kitchenaid that replaced the discontinued model was setting next to the discontinued model.  It would not come close to fitting the opening.
My opening max measurements are 69.25"X 37.5" X 27.4" deep, and the frig measurements are (and this is from the mfg.spec sheet) to top of hinge is 68.875, 36"wide and depth w/o handle 27.5". But be sure to see the model in real life and do your own measurements also.  Also many of the  frig's doors when open come out further than 37.5" wide.  The door on the Whirlpool when opened did not come out much wider than the width of the frig itself.  The frig pretty well has to fit flush because the floor that it sets on is elevated otherwise there would not be anyway to bolt it in to keep it from moving.  As you well know a motor home going down the road is about 7 or 8 on the Richter scale.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I might add here that the new refrigerator controls do not do well with the modified sine wave inverters in most older Newells.

When changing the refrigerator in 567, the inverter was upgraded to a pure sine wave type.   

Just saying!!

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

(05-16-2015, 11:29 AM)bestgenman Wrote:  I might add here that the new refrigerator controls do not do well with the modified sine wave inverters in most older Newells.

When changing the refrigerator in 567, the inverter was upgraded to a pure sine wave type.   

Just saying!!

Gordon, you are correct.  When I ask Tommy Key at Newell about installing a new refrigerator, the first thing he said was you will have to install a new inverter.  I told him I had an Outback and he said that will work fine.  So when your old inverter needs replacing be sure to install a pure sine wave one.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot