You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Battery Cable Repairs

While I'm on a roll with DIY documents....

I've had my Newell now for a few months beyond two years. I pretty much fulltime so whatever happens, I am close by. So my not being able to explain how this happened bothers me more than a little.

I purchased the coach in Phoenix and stopped at the factory for my first time on the way back east. During that visit I decided to have all the house batteries replaced as they were obviously old. Subsequently the next summer I removed them to cleanup and make repairs to the battery trays. So somehow both the Newell techs and I missed the deteriorated battery cable, or even more unlikely, the insulation just gave up in a very short period of time. In any event, look at the pictures and imagine how you would feel if you saw that and realized what would happen if that conductor contacted ground anywhere on the coach.

Even without knowing how it got in that state, it was very clear it needed fixing immediately. Another strange thing is that search as hard as I can, that single battery cable is the only one with any insulation damage. You will note that its color is different than the other positive ( reddish ) cables in the coach. This is true the entire length of the cable. And, yes, the insulation damage is consistent the entire length of the cable - about 12 feet.
The cable runs from the batteries to the fuse at the inverter. I immediately disconnected it at the batteries and used an external charger until the repairs were complete. I was hopeful I could just purchase new cable and pull in the new as I pulled out the old. Those hopes were quickly dashed as I discovered Newell had used wire ties all along the run, making the cable impossible to pull out. The cable runs right down the middle of the coach and over the water and waste tanks. Totally impossible to get at it with the tanks installed - bummer. Well I decided to just let it rest in peace in that location and run my new cable on a different route. I cut the old cable as it exited the battery compartment and moved the other end away and tagged and taped both ends. I cut a new hole through the compartment wall near the battery disconnect switch and routed the cable to the inverter fuse. I used very flexible red 4/0 cable that cost me about $10/ft. And to be extra safe I fused it at the batteries. Now both positive cables leaving the battery compartment are fused. I have no idea why this was not done with the original construction, or maybe it was and got changed along the way. Is your coach protected by fuses on all battery cables? If not, think about doing it as a short on a positive cable will release tremendous amounts of energy from 6 8D batteries.

The all copper terminal at the battery compartment is rated for my cable, but also for larger cables and is bigger than I would have preferred. It should be just fine, but things would be prettier if I had a compression terminal there.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

russ, most battery places like interstate batteries make cables. so just find one in your travels that is big enough for you to get into and have them put a compression terminal on.

yea, i know, easier said than done.

very nice work though. thanks for sharing it

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,

I did give Interstate in Knoxville a call and they couldn't help, but sent me to another bigger distributor. They could have made up a cable, but all they stocked were black and offered to heat shrink some red on each end. I finally decided I wanted red cable. Even Newell used a screw down connector on the inverter end. I'll keep an eye out for someone to crimp a terminal on. I left plenty of cable on the battery compartment side so that should be easy.

Are all positive cables leaving your battery compartment fused?

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

hi russ, i dont recall on the fusing but will check.

i was also thinking....you can buy cable ends that are soldered on. i have never tried them and imagine that it is probably a mess and melts the insulation.

tom

(09-23-2012, 11:32 AM)RussWhite Wrote:  Tom,

I did give Interstate in Knoxville a call and they couldn't help, but sent me to another bigger distributor. They could have made up a cable, but all they stocked were black and offered to heat shrink some red on each end. I finally decided I wanted red cable. Even Newell used a screw down connector on the inverter end. I'll keep an eye out for someone to crimp a terminal on. I left plenty of cable on the battery compartment side so that should be easy.

Are all positive cables leaving your battery compartment fused?

Well if your ever in Northeast AR give me a shout. I may still have some lugs. I made all the cables for the ole 74'. It had 6 8d's for the house. or you can buy an inexpensive hydraulic lug tool from Harbor Freight.

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy - any excuse to buy a tool is good enough for me.

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

i have that particular hydraulic crimper from harborfreight but it doesnt do 4/0 lugs....it only goes up to single ought

i looked for a long time to find one to do 4/0 lugs but even just a manual crimper is expensive and a hydraulic one that does that big is very pricey.

tom

Tom,

Thanks for doing the research. I have my hands full with other problems anyway.

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

http://www.theelectricaldepot.com/hex-cr...h-963.html

This is the 4/0 lug tool I have. Toms right about the HF tool. I also found one that you hit w/hammer but not a pretty job.

Jimmy