You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Dreaming

Hello, this seems like a great and knowledgeable group, I will appreciate any insights you may have.

I've been dreaming of owning and living full time in a luxury coach probably since I first saw one as a child. I'm seriously considering making that dream a reality by purchasing a Newell. The unit i'm considering is a 1997, coach #453. It looks good in the pictures I've seen, I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible. My biggest concern is that it has some water damage on the inside trim pieces of the slide out. The seller claims that the previous owner took it back to Newell to have the slide seals repaired, I guess there would be records of such things. I'm wondering how reliable the slide out systems are on units of this generation?

What are the things I should be looking out for as potential problems? I'm very technical, and familiar with heavy-duty diesel systems.

This is just a start I guess, I'll definitely have more specific questions at some point, just testing the waters.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. You will find many talented techies here.

The slide system is not a chronic problem area. That said, seals can leak, rupture, or roll out of the track. In later years, vacuum pumps were added to deflate the seals when the slide was deployed. The vac pump is a great idea.

It would be unusual to find a motorhome of any brand of that vintage that did not need some attention to water intrusion points such as windows and roof penetrations.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

My '99 has experienced problems on both slides. The mechanism is a HWH product. Flat floor slide in front, and raised floor slide in rear. The raised floor slide is considerably simpler ( and shorter ) and can be pulled into the coach enough to expose the slide seal. In this way I was able to replace the rear slide seal when it ruptured.

Recently the front slide has been making unusual noise and when I removed panels below the slide to have a look, pieces of the nylon glide pads fell out. Then a piece of a pad punctured the seal. I will be draining my bank account and heading to the factory later this month.

That all said, as I live full-time in my coach I would not chose to do it without slides. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Is the factory the only place that can fix problems with slides? For that matter, how much of the coach is unique enough that parts are difficult to come by and repairs are difficult?

On Newells of this vintage (1997), what is the steering and suspension system like? Who makes it?

The factory certainly isn't the only place to get the slides fixed. They just have the most knowledge to do it. The flat floor slides that Newell uses are somewhat more complex than some slides and all Newell slides use an air bladder and solenoid operated locking pins.

During the 1990's, Newell used Ross steering boxes and either a Rockwell front suspension or a Dana Independent Front Suspension. Airbags were Firestone. Suspension work on 90's models can be handled by most Over The Road truck mechanics.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

HWH is located in Moscow, Iowa and you should make an appt. They will go through everything and I found them the best over all and has all parts on hand for my slides, leveling system and everything hydraulic or air related. Newell has been using Valid made in Canada since 2003 but prior to that HWH is the brand used until you go way back and Michael may shed light on that. At Newell you want Tracey who is the slide tech and all around Newell Expert if you want advice.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

If you purchase it I can help you since I have #458, also a '97. I've owned it 7 years and have been all over and under it.
You can message me for my contact info.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458