You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Repower questions

Hello Guru's,

Just an update to my original June post.  I took the coach to our local Western Branch diesel shop since they have two old timers there with lots of experience with the Detroit 8.2 and are the MTU dealer that covers the 8.2 these days.  We discussed repowers vs fixing the 8.2 and they assure me that a properly maintained 8.2 should outlast me......just don't get it hot.  That said we pushed the button last week to repair the old Detroit rather than replace it.

Once we got the heads off it became apparent that it did not blow a head gasket but instead had a cracked injector tube.  Since the engine only has 60,000 miles on it we decided to refresh the top end of the engine.  Heads have been magnafluxed and are being planed, getting new injector tubes, injectors, valve seats ground, valve faces ground, new valve guide seals, new valve springs, new fuel pump, new water pump, new thermostats and of course all of the required gaskets.  With this will come a 12 month coast to coast warranty.

If the engine went 60,000 with poor maintenance I'm betting that it will go farther than that with excellent maintenance.  At 5000 miles per year (we only put 3700 on her last year, fewer the year before and probably fewer this year thanks to very limited vacation choices) I should get at least 12 more years before considering a repower that will cost at least 3 times as much.

Hopefully we're making the right decision but we've got a kid just 2 years from college and maybe when she's done we'll have expendable income to do a repower correctly.

Hope everyone is well and thank you for your advice.

Bob Kopicki
1972 Newell Chauffeur
1964 Land Rover 88 Series IIa TOAD