You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1984-1989 Dash Automotive AC Control Unit

Hi, Does anyone know what type of unit controls the dash ac? Ours is cracked on our 84' and we would like to replace it. Thanks.

When it was time to service our 1982 Dash Unit I decided not to! After I looked at the overall costs of using R-12 or converting to R-134 it did not make good economical sense. The dash vents on our '82 aim at my knees not my upper body so that helped with my decision.
I would rather just "exercise" my Generator and use the overhead units. This has the advantage of using the equipment and makes the entire coach much more comfortable.

Again this was my choice, just a suggestion.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

89classic: perhaps a picture would help if what you are interested in is the dash mounted control panel. My 93 uses a unit out of dodge pickups I believe. If you are asking how the a/c itself is controlled (who made the controls) I have no clue.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

I have the same issue with ours. Works a little bit, but my biggest issue is that the controls are frozen to turn the heat on. My mechanic said that to fix ours he would have to get in behind the generator???? The switch is simply sticks and won't push to the heat option.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Everything that I have heard would support prairieschooner's reply.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Thanks everyone for your input, I will take a photo tomorrow. For some reason, I thought Newell used a Chevrolet control unit in the mid to late 80's. We have an 89', and I'm pretty sure it is the same unit mounted in the dash as the 84'... ? I might be wrong.

I should have also said that the 93' Dodge unit is different all together.., but again, thank you for your input.