You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fuel Problem

I just joined just today and have a 1987 38FT Newell which has been sitting in storage for some time. Plugged into shore power and run occasionaly. I just don't use it enough anymore. I tried to bring it home for a wash and got about 3 miles and it quit. I pulled over and removed the primary fuel filter and noticed the fuel was down about 3 inches, I installed a new spare, full of fuel, then removed the secondary filter, it was full, I replaced it with a new filter and filled with fuel. The coach started imediately and off I went happy. About 3 miles again it quit. Again I removed the primary filter and it was the fuel was down 3 inches, another new filter, full of fuel was installed. The secondary filter was full of fuel but I replaced in with another filter and filled it with fuel. I made it home and it is now parked. There is plenty of fuel treated with Startron on board. The water seperators do not look like they have water but the glass is clouded and I could not really tell much. I looked in the top of both fuel tanks and thought I saw some floating material. I think I am having a fuel starvation problem as the primary filter is always low when I pull it, the air might interupt the fuel flow or cause the engine driven pump to cavitate. I am thinking I will have to have it towed to the nearest capable repair facility 30 miles away and have it defueled and the system back flushed, maybe somehow cleaning the tanks. I am looking for some experienced advice and recomendations of how to proceed. I live in a restricted residential area, it is sitting in a field accross from my house and is not welcome.
Thanks for replies.
Brian

Brian Long
St. Helens OR 
1987 Newell 38 ft.
Coach #129

Your engine is repeatedly dying of fuel starvation. It seems air is displacing fuel until enough accumulates to cavitation the pump. I suspect a small air leak in the supply to the filter. Given that you live in a restricted area I'm not sure how much mechanical work you are allowed to do either by yourself or by a mechanic on site. We also need to know your mechanic in skill and interest.

If work is allowed at your site you need to determine the cost of a tow versus the cost of a mechanic coming to you. I suspect it will be cheaper to bring the mechanic to the coach than bringing the coach to the mechanic.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

My =78 Newell had a small electric pusher-pump near the tank. I suppose it was to prime the engine pump. If you have something like that it might help even if it is sucking air someplace. I wouldn't rule out algae in the fuel.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Yes it could be algae. The way to check that is to cut open the filters aND see what you find.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

You have received good advice.

Cut open a filter and look at it. The fuel would have to be awfully contaminated to occlude a filter in three miles. But it is possible. If the filter doesn't show contamination, then a fuel polishing operation will not help the situation.

I would also suspect a hose leak between the tank and the fuel filters. Given the age of the coach, the hoses may have broken down.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )