You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Brake air switch

Guys last year my cruise went out suddenly. However, I could hold the set switch and at times it would surge like it was engaging. Not always just occasionally. Later my mechanic checked everything and found a wire loose. He soldered it and it worked. So when it surged I think it was making a momentary connection. 

Fast forward to today and I just had it go out again. Same thing as it surges once is a while. So where do I find said brake air switch to see if it broke loose by chance?  My mechanic was gone but the service manager read these notes to me. I am stoppping for the evening in a couple hours and would like to find this rascal and hope that is the issue. We just started this trip and driving all the way to Yellowstone without cruise will royally suck. 

Oh the service manager said it may be under the dash somewhere but he did not know.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Got it. Mechanic called me back and told me where to look. Sure enough the other wire had corroded and snapped. Easy fix.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

If I were repairing this, I would use the crimp on connector that also has a heat shrink sleeve. You could use a match in a pinch to heat the sleeve. Anyway, the point is the connection is exposed to water and the heat shrink connector would give you some measure of protection against corrosion.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard thanks that is what I did. You'd be so proud of me.

Can I tell you how much it sucks to drive without cruise! Man am I glad this is fixed.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Or if you don't want to redo the connection then coat it with Liquid Electric tape.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

This looks like there isn't any strain relief on that wire. It was most likely a little longer when original, you my want to extend that wire just enough to allow it to be better secured (with the other one) to try and keep it from flexing once your trip is over.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch