You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Overheating concerns for 8V92 - need advice

I didn't want to get too "wordy" in my earlier post but I have been impressed and blessed by the kindness of others when we have broke down in the past!
Blessings on you Jon!!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Jon needed a little more time to get the tranny separated from the engine so it will be picked up tomorrow and delivered Friday. The garage said assuming they have it by noon then they hope to have the coach ready to roll Saturday afternoon. If that's so that would be just in time to get us to my parents house in the Black Hills Saturday evening and then home Sunday.   I'll post if I have other updates but the kindness of everyone has been overwhelming and much needed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Well, this is just the greatest thread I've read in a long time... Todd has done a great job on this coach,and I'm sure at a great expense. Right when he's emotionally exhausted and most likely thinking of the costs of this failure in the back of his head, a trans is donated... The Gurus all participated in their efforts to help, and Todd may be sticking around in his Newell! Well done!!

i gotta say you all are incredible. in this case helping todd out of a terrible breakdown, other times when a guru was seriously injured and many of you helped him, when people are sick, you offer kindness and support, other times when gurus have broken down and needed help. and the list goes on and on.

thank you

tom and darlene

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Ran into some issues, and I feel bad about letting Todd and his family down. With the engine seized, I'm not able to unbolt the torque converter so that I can separate the transmission from the engine. Looks like I'm going to have to pull the heads and oil pan and figure out what's seized and get the motor to turn over. Todd is being a saint about it, but still doesn't make me feel any better about letting them down.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Even the best plans require alteration. We ran into an issue with separating the transmission from the engine on Jon's end. He has been working very hard at it but the issue is that because the engine is seized he is unable to get at some bolts he needs to in order to separate the two so he can have the shipper pick up the transmission. So at this point we won't be able to get it to Belgrade by Friday afternoon so that we can get the coach Saturday an get home by Sunday.

So Jon is going to see if he can get some assistance from someone in Boise to help take the heads off and slide out the frozen sleeve in order to turn the engine and get at the bolts he needs to. After that we will have the shipper pick it up and get it to Belgrade. Once it's done I will need to drive or fly back to grab the coach but for now we will need to get home so that kids can get back to work and soccer camps and Dawn and I can get back to our jobs. So a quick trip to Bozeman (nearest decent size airport to Belgrade is in my future. Jon and I will keep in touch the next few days about when and how the engine and tranny get seperated. Jon talked to our mechanic in Belgrade and said that the fluid in his donor was nice and clean. He commented to Jon that mine was burnt up and although I left him a message asking (as suggested in a post here) to make sure there was no water or coolant in the transmission. Jon indicated that the mechanic mentioned it was a clutch that had gone bad and was the issue from what he thinks he heard the mechanic say but I will get a specific response.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

A free transmission. Who's the saint guys? Yep it's still Jon.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

I finally got to read this post! We have been on holidays for a couple of weeks.
That's defiantly some bad luck Todd, I hope it all works out.
 Jon I was thinking about your transmission as I was reading and had a feeling you were going to do this. That's really nice of you, the few days I spent at your place I could tell that is the kind of guy you are. Right on man!!

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

todd, any update?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

No. Jon said a few days ago that he was going to get a mechanic to help pull the tranny off of the engine. Jon has a bad back and he in fact I think flared it up so I encouraged him to get a mechanic in the interest of time and his health. I don't mind paying someone to do that. I also asked for before and after pics so I can update the post as its shipped for you guys.
I'm hopeful we can have it shipped there early next week so I can make my travel arrangements to retrieve the coach in the next week or two otherwise I begin to bump into work obligations and kids starting school etc. I am sure we will make it.

I have already asked the mechanic in Bozeman to wash the inside and outside of the radiator. Should I do anything else like have it flushed? I want to make sure I have taken all the cooling steps that I can.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia