You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Exhaust break

We were returning from a outing two weeks ago. About 10 miles from home I noticed a change in the 'tone' of engine. Nothing big - just different. All gauges were normal w/no change for the balance of the drive. 

Once parked, left the engine running - what I found the exhaust pipe @ the flex pipe had broken just ahead of the muffler and rotated from a 3 o'clock to a 5 o'clock position. So the exhaust from the turbo was basically blowing on the lower portion of engine compartment - wires, hoses & whatever else was there. 

There was no damage to anything ( other than the broken 5" flex pipe ) - however, had we not been close to home and shut down right away - it wouldn't have been pretty. At the least, melted wires or hoses....

I said all of that to say this, on our coach the exhaust flex pipe is wrapped with a hard wrap so you 
-cannot- inspect the flex coupling. This for me has turned it into a time issue - after xx years that flex coupling -HAS- to be changed. Plus, doesn't look like this will even break a $50 bill. 

I'm working on a 8V92 so, YMMV.

Marc

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135