You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

HWH rear slide, cylinder or hose replacement

Recently, one of the hoses to the rear slide developed a leak. The leak caused the air bag to fail. The air bag was replaced in a different thread. My first thought was to crimp a new end on the leaking hose. Research suggested this would not be a long term fix. In fact when I got the hoses out, I discovered the leaking end had already been refitted once with a new fitting. 

As I dove into the hose replacement, I tried to gain access to the hose fittings via the bedroom. After taking the bed apart, both potties out, removing the windshield, radiator, transmission, and the generator it was clear that would not work. The first two calls to the mothership assured me there was access through the bedroom. The bedroom support mechanism is an aluminum structure that is affixed to the slide out. Under the support structure, the hydraulic cylinder is COMPLETELY enclosed in a square steel tube. The hoses exit from the square steel tube on the bottom and then through the bedroom floor into the wheelwell. There is about 3/8 inch between the bottom of the steel tube and the floor. I could only see the hoses using a flashlight and a mirror. 

I was stuck. 

I lay awake thinking about using a grinder and cutting holes in both the aluminum and steel tubes. I still didn't know how I would get the hoses through the opening. 

I called again and spoke to a tech who explained it all. Access is neither through the bedroom nor the bottom of the coach. You disconnect the cylinder from the steel square tube via two bolts under the bed, disconnect via one bolt on the bottom of the slide out, contract the cylinder, disconnect the hoses, and pull it out the channel from outside. I learned later all of this is explained on the HWH site  http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml19524.pdf

Before you get started deflate the seal, and looking in the channel you will see a piece of foam surrounding the ram. At the bottom of that foam is a 3/8 nut. Remove it, grab the black plastic base and slide it out. You don't have to tear it into ten pieces to remove it. He says, after the fact. 

I felt like a doofus, having been on the site for days but not finding this page. 

Let me add a couple of things that would have made this gone smoother. First. Getting the hoses down the square tube, turning 90 degrees and exiting through the wheel well is not fun. I had tied rope to the old hoses before I pulled out the cylinder. If I were doing this again, I would thread some cable or rope through a 1/4 JIS flare coupling, screw one each to each old hose and pull out with the cylinder. Th purpose of using the flare is that the rope or cable will be right in the center of the hose end, and it's tapered. 

I had rope but even with tying and taping it die not want to turn the angle  with the fitting. 

Second, the hoses are 1/8 Parker 540N. You won't find 1/8 hyd hose in smaller towns. I took a chance and had 1/4 hoses made at Napa. The hose will go through the hole OK, BUT the 1/4 hose ends are far larger than the the 1/8 ones. It was a real bear.

In hindsight, using 1/8 hose, and using the flare coupling would have made this a easier job. 

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Great post Richard!
I wonder if you talked to Mark at Newell. When I was there recently the other "HWH slide out tech" resigned. Mark was good and had moved from production to maintenance and said he had actually installed the slides in my coach.
Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Was it Tracey that resigned ?? He is such a great tech and even made me a tool for manipulating the slide seals if needed. Hope he didn't leave. He and Mike Payton are who I requested whenever possible. Have not been to the factory for over a year...

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

"As I dove into the hose replacement, I tried to gain access to the hose fittings via the bedroom. After taking the bed apart, both potties out, removing the windshield, radiator, transmission, and the generator it was clear that would not work."
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I've been there so many times.....and I don't even have slide-outs. As I rebuild the cabinets etc. they get built, installed removed and modified several times until I'm satisfied then they are removed again for the laminate application.

Thanks, Richard!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Larry, what was the 'tool' that the Newell tech made for you to manipulate the slide? Manipulate how? Can it be replicated?
"Was it Tracey that resigned ?? He is such a great tech and even made me a tool for manipulating the slide seals"

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

The tool must be the same as mine is for the seals too. Sad if he is gone. Now Micheal Peyton is the smart guy in the shop

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Trying to remove and install the #3 seal on my Newell motor coach... if anyone could hep with the process to get it pushed in at least 4inches that would be great!

Lonnie, is number three a bedroom or salon slide? HWH or Valid?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )