You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air filter change

you do have to use a filter cleaner fluid as well. a filter that big could use quite a bit.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

It is not specified how much of the cleaner is used in the presoak. By the photo of it being sprayed on with a common hand sprayer, it doesn't appear you would use too much. The fluid is $23 a gallon. Below is the cleaning instructions.

http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/19069_inst.pdf

I spoke with K&N tech support. He stated he didn't think you would use more than a quart of the cleaning fluid each cleaning, with a normally dirty filter. You want to coat the surface, but not trying to get it dripping wet. He also stated that they recommend cleaning the filter when the filterminder rises 15 points from where you start with a new filter. He also stated that each cleaning would take away a small amount of longevity. He stated the 300,000 miles and 10 washings is an estimate from the feedback they have received from units in the field. Your results may vary.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

so steve, you gonna buy one?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Many years ago I installed K&N oil filters on my twin Detroit 6-71s. They worked fine and not a big deal to refresh them, but you will need a gallon of oil on hand. I am curious how one would be installed on the newell - same filter can to fit existing hardware?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Yea Chester the can is a match to the paper filter we now use. These filters do not use oil. Here are the installation instructions.

http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/38-2002R_inst.pdf

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Tom,
It is tempting, but since I just changed my filter I have 30,000 miles to decide. It will give me time to do a little more research. Hope to find some one using one.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I cannot get the element out of my Donaldson air filter
on my kohler generator (yanmar powered) 12.5kw
(12.5CC067). When I remove front cover to remove the
element (P12_2510) it hits the structure at the front of the engine. Cannot pull element enough to one side to get it out.
Will I have to remove the whole canister assembly to get the filter out?
Is it hard to remove the canister?

Unfortunately the date on the old element is Oct 1988.
(not sure the photos worked, can't see on preview)
1988 Newell 8V92.

1988 Newell 8V92 #179
40ft Tag Axel, rear window
2005 Jeep Liberty toad

Try to just tilt element up at an angle or pull back at an angle. Mine is also kind of like a Rubic's cube to get in & out. You may have to loosen canister mounts.

thanks ccjohnson, was able to get the filter out by
loosening the clamps. I was concerned because the
filter had an October 1988 date on it.

1988 Newell 8V92 #179
40ft Tag Axel, rear window
2005 Jeep Liberty toad