You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator Quizzler

Had a similar issue on our Classic. This was after running about six hours non stop.  If I would pull up to a stop sign or take a corner somewhat sharp the generator would shut down.  Separate tanks, gas generator.

Turned out that on level ground the oil would read right at the add mark on the dipstick.  Take a corner or stop quickly and it would slosh away from the oil sensor and shut down.  About every 24 hours of run time on the generator I need to add some oil to keep things going.  

Roy...

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

roy, your genny is using that much oil? i have not had to add oil in between services on my kubota and it has over 8000 hours on it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Yes it uses a little, it is also a 74 gasser with lots of hours.  I have several like it that we use on construction jobs and it is somewhat normal for the age and make.  When it decides to throw a rod I plan on replacing it with a diesel generator.

Ozarkguy was a previous owner and when we spoke he mentioned it burned a little oil for him too.

Roy...

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

Roy has a Onan NH 6.5 gasoline generator .. Those tend to have the valve seals get hard and suck a bit of oil. Not too big of a job to replace them... It was on my list... of to-do's. At least the shutdown switch is working.. Sounds like consumption is improving.. (:-). I think it is the original..

Jimmy

ah....jimmys coach. i knew it. he did a nice job on it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Very nice job! We're loving it and upgrading as needed.

We also had a John Deer that had a bad ground off the fuel pump. When it was up to temp it wouldn't start. Replaced the ground and the bolt holding it on. Works great now.