You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1981 Newell 12.5 kw Kohler/Perkins Gen Set

I am having problems with a 1981 Newell 12.5 kw Kohler/Perkins gen set.

It will start & run cold, maintaining normal water temp and oil pressure. When I shut it off, it will not restart...dash mounted start/stop switch becomes inactive. The next day it will start...no problem. I have grounded out low oil pressure switch and high temp switch to check safety shutdown...but no change while running.

The shut down system appears to be faulty. It is equipped with an unusual reset switch located near the passenger side main fuse panel.

Does anyone know how this works??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Mike

hi gang, anyone with that setup have any advice for Mike?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I can shed a few glimmers of light on a general basis.  

Most of these systems use ground to start, ground to stop controls (GTSS) allowing an infinite number of switches. It is possible the ground is not continuous all the time from your dash switch.  Does the switch at the set operate when the dash switch doesn't?

The safeties are usually grounded to indicate a fault however on the older sets the grounding (especially Kohler) starts a delay timer (usually a bimetal heating device the opens a contact after a time period).  Just grounding and expecting an immediate response may be why you think the safeties are not working.  The time delay is usually in the order of 10 to 20 seconds.  This may change as the timer ages and may changer to "not working at all".   On older Kohler sets,  both safeties are connected to the timer.

Note! On newer Newells the controller is an autostart and doesn't use the GTSS scheme.

Hope this helps!

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Thank you for the information on the shut down system!

Do you have any ideas on why the start/ stop switch becomes inactive for many hours (cool down?)

Mike

I had a diesel kobelco water pump that would start and run. If we shut it off and tried to restart it once it was up to normal temp it would not start. The next day when cold it started and ran fine again.

We replaced the high temp overheat sensor and that fixed it. Mine was a very simple electrical system compared to your generator set.

Roy...

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

Thank you both for your helpful information! I really appreciate you taking time to share your experience.
I'll let you know how things go.

Mike

We had an issue with a diode that I originally thought was just a connector going to the fuel pump solenoid. One other issue was with the automatic fire suppression system pressure dropping off.