You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Newell vs. Prevost

My 02 has a 2 1/2" receiver and a hitch massive enough to pull a tank

To

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I regularly pull 20,000 lbs plus.. Steer tag makes pulling a stacker handle like a coach without a steer tag. I have a series 60 and love it. I can exceed the speed limit pulling the stacker on flat roads . Some grades you do lose speed.. What I need now is a front steer axle stacker to go with my coach.. Hey wait Ill have that in the next 6-8 weeksSmile

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Great information, Gentlemen. I do appreciate it. Glad to hear Newell uses an "active" tag.  Thanks for confirming that 2 slide Newells are scarce in the '05 and newer vintage. I had gathered that and realize that 3 slides is probably the minimum and that's ok.  How functional is a 4 slide Newell with the slides retracted?

Regarding the single 3000w inverter/charger, removing the A/Cs does take a load off it, but still keeping 6 8D charged up is a pretty demanding load. Also, I do know that there is a 35A alternator to charge the chassis batteries which is idle when not traveling. I presume (maybe incorrectly) that the inverter/charger is also tasked with keeping the chassis batteries charged?  

Would anyone care to comment on the serviceability, care and maintenance of a flat floor slide as compared to a "regular" slide that excludes floor movement? I guess I'm asking if the complexity of a flat floor slide room substantially increases failure rates.

Yea, I kinda figured a Newell could tow more than 5000#s. The example coach I showed earlier with the 5k hitch is probably an oddity, it doesn't have a washer or dryer either, so go figure, probably built for someone's specific needs.

One more question and I'll stop pestering you all. Generally speaking, what items on a Newell (various vintages) do you find to be the most problematic as regards maintenance and repair.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Chuck & Tela Millsap

Bullhead City, AZ

2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S

2004 Wanderlodge M380 D/S Sold

2000 Wanderlodge LXi N/S Sold

'06 Jeep Liberty Toad

When you are run the engine, the engine driving alternator is recharging ALL the batteries, chassis and house. The engine alternator is 300 amps on the new coaches, likely the same on a 2005-2006. The generator has a 35 amp alternator on it plus it is supplying 120 volts to the inverter/charger (they are separate on the new coaches, not sure about 2005-2006) that is capable of dumping another 60 amps or so into the coach batteries (or coach and chassis batteries if the battery merge switch is activated).

If someone didn't plan on towing anything more than a car behind their coach, it is likely they didn't want to pay to have a more expensive hitch installed. Mine has a 10,000 pound hitch for a motorcycle lift with 3-2" receivers on it. Others had high capacity hitches, some with pintle hooks.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thank you , Michael,

I get it as my LXi has a 50DN 300A alternator on the S60. I was trying to figure out how the chassis batteries stay charged when on dock/shore power. The LXi provides the ability for the (2) 3000W trace inverter/chargers to keep the (3) chassis batteries charged along with the (6) house batteries. I'm a little dense so if the generator isn't running, how does the chassis batteries stay charged when parked for extended periods on shore power if the inverter charger only charges the house batteries? Can you tie the two battery banks together to allow the inverter/charger to keep both banks charged?

BTW, here's an '05 with 2 slides. It's been for sale for months at a relatively low price.  Any idea why it hasn't sold? It's a good looking coach and the only thing I could see from the pics was the waviness above the passenger's side windows? http://motorhomesoftexas.com/coachrv_ima...-45--C1770

Thanks again,

Chuck

Chuck & Tela Millsap

Bullhead City, AZ

2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S

'06 Jeep Liberty Toad

that coach has the 50dn alternator as well (i do too, but not all of them did)

i dont know anything about that one. it does look clean though

tom

and there is a manual merge switch to merge the two battery banks together if needed

tom

There is a battery merge switch on the dash. When it is manually turned on, the house and chassis battery are tied together electrically so the inverter will charge all 8 batteries either from shorepower or from generator power. Starting the engine automatically merges the chassis and house batteries together so the engine alternator charges all batteries. If you keep the battery merge switch turned off, it is possible to have the chassis batteries run down it you are on shorepower for an extended time (weeks). I use an LSL Amp-L-Start which diverts current to the chassis batteries when the house batteries are being charged and the chassis batteries are at a lower charge level than the house batteries. That way, I don't have to remember to turn the merge switch off and on.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Excellent, Michael & Tom,

Sounds exactly like the battery charging circuitry in my LXi except the charging of the batteries is shared between two inverters.

Chuck

Chuck & Tela Millsap

Bullhead City, AZ

2000 Wanderlodge LXi S/S

'06 Jeep Liberty Toad

Chuck

I have had a M380, 2 Prevost's a new to me 2002 and a new 2010. Call me I ca tell you what I know and have learned. 516-903-3145

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex