You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Transfer switch

My 3rd transfer switch in the last 18 months has just failed. I'm perplexed at why they keep failing.. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the cause of a repeated failure.?

newell has covered every one under the 1 year warranty for repairs but I'm wondering if I am doing something ..

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Manually turning off the air conditioners prior to the switch from shorepower to generator or vice-versa will reduce the wear on the contactors. After the transfer switch makes the change, then turn the A/C units back on one at a time so they don't all try to start up at the same time.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

You might be arching the points if you are switching under load. I always shut down generator, switch transfer switch to shore power, plug in and then energize. When heading out I de-energize shore power, un-plug, switch transfer switch to generator and then start the generator.

I think mark has an auto transfer switch on those the only control you have is turning the loads off individually

To

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Marc, How does the system fail? I have also had multiple failures, but mine are related to water getting into the switch. Do you see any magic smoke on the control board? Is it the contractors? (Can you wedge one side down and have it work?)

On the transfer switches that are currently being used by Newell....They have had a lot of trouble with the "remote display unit". It is plugged into the switch via a telephone type connector. Do you have that style? Newell recommends to unplug it and not mess with it.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

i have the surgeguard transfer switch. which one do you guys have (marc and bill)

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, yes. Mine is the Surgeguard 50 amp switch. I think it is the model 40250-RVC. I see that they have a newer version now....20350-RVC.

The interesting thing about this switch vs the old non-electronic version is that there are actually holes in the top of the newer unit which allow water to drop into the electronic circuit. The old unit was fairly well sealed.

The Surgeguard is certainly not NEMA rated.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I'm not sure which model I have.. But mine supposedly turns the loads back on in stages so it's not hit all at once.. I do trip a lot of breakers at campgrounds but I have always attributed that to the camp grounds not truly having 50 amp service. I have never tripped the breaker on the generator.

It may just be bad luck but I gotta think something is causing it.

Marc Newman

Marc, check the main breakers in your coach. See if they are 50 amp or 60 amp. The generator will sustain higher loads than the campgrounds shorepower. Do you keep an eye on the ammeters when you are running all of the A/C units to see just how much power you are drawing?

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Honestly I haven't checked.. 4a/c's normally won't trip a breaker but add dryer..pop sometimes.. Grill and dryer all day long. Sometimes even a/c and 110 water pump

Marc Newman