You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Classic Rivets

Just checking to see what my options are for replacing several of the rivets on our 74 Classic.  Many are missing and some are replaced with steel and rusting.  I would like to stay original with the solid rivets.  The original rivets look like they are hammer pressed, not possible with out removing the finished interior.  Do pop rivets mean that those places have been replaced or repaired?  

What have other classic owners done and how do you like it?  I am looking at pure aluminum pop rivets unless you have other options for me. Would I need to silicone the hole of every rivet to keep water out? 

I also have some gold ribbon (stampped aluminium that is gold, about 6" wide) that is cracking I would like to replace it at the same time.  I'm going to call Newell and see if they have any extra stock.  Any other outlets for this material.  If you look at my pictures you can see it going all the way around the coach. 

Thanks,
Roy...  

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

Everything you need here!  (except gold aluminum)

http://bylerrivetsupply.com/products/cat...ad-rivets/

This is what I used...Better than pop rivets

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

(08-23-2015, 06:52 PM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  Everything you need here!  (except gold aluminum)

http://bylerrivetsupply.com/products/cat...ad-rivets/

This is what I used...Better than pop rivets
These look the same as I used, probably a cheaper source, I ordered some from
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Airs...ts-826.htm
They sell a shaver tool for them too but I just used a grinder with a flapper style sanding pad to sand them flush. They work well

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

On my 77 coach I used Cherrymax size 5-4 dome headed blind rivets I bought from Aircraft Spruce. The original rivets are 1/8" and the size 5 Cherrymax are 5/32" but the head size better matches the original than using 1/8".

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Thanks for all the information!

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

Wanted to resurrect this thread to find out how the cherrymax or olympic (bulb tite) rivets have been holding up. I have several rivets that need to be replaced where the sidewall sheets overlap. I know these bulb tite style rivets were designed for our applications but wonder if they have enough tensile strength for where the sheets over lap. I think the olympic bulb tite have a tensile of 250 lbs/sq ft and I was thinking about using closed end aluminum rivets with steel arbor rated at 450 lbs. Appreciate any thoughts on the two. (I am not that concerned with appearance). I was also considering 3/16 bulb tite which have 450 lbs tensile instead of the 5/32. My concerns are strength/durability and water tightness.

Marcus

Former caretaker of 1983 Newell, Cummins VT903, Allison 654CR

I reriveted the perimeter of my door. I used solid rivets around the edge where the backside was accessible. On the hinge side I used the bulb rivets. It has been 5 years and holding up well.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

The Cherrymax rivets I used held up for at least several years after I installed them, I no longer own the coach. They are a blind rivet but are also structural and not cheap. I installed them using a regular Pop riveter. There are even stronger blind aluminum rivets but they require special pullers that I didn't want to invest in unless necessary.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed