You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Oudoor Internet Router

I have been using a Cradlepoint MBR-1400 WiFi as WAN Router in my coach for about 6 months. Even with a Hawkin Indoor Directional Antenna, I was not getting great reception from most RV WiFi signals. We are currently traveling with a long-time friend Don Bradner (Wanderlodge owner). He has been using an EnGenius Outdoor router on his coach for about a year and I was surprised how much stronger signal he was getting. I did some research and ended up ordering a EnGenius ENH200 Business Class Long Range Wireless N Outdoor Client Bridge from Amazon for $73. Since we are Amazon Prime members, I got second day deliver free. I ordered the router in Cheyenne for delivery to Golden, CO shortly after our arrival. Don came over and we set it up in about 30 minutes for a test. It received a much better signal than the Cradlepoint even indoors. Then onto the roof. We already had a lot of wires running across the roof, a cellular antenna, a radio antenna, a CB antenna and the DirecTV antenna on the front and a DataStorm Satellite/DirecTV antenna on the rear of the coach with the wiring running to the front. As a result there were several roof penetrations so we didn't have to create a new hole in the roof. We chose the DataStorm penetration since it was the newest and largest (5 existng wires). We opened that penetration up and ran a single ethernet cable (I used a 50' cat 5e cable, would have preferred cat6 but for WiFi cat 5e is adequate).
    The gray wire is the new ethernet cable for the EnGenius

We looked at various mounting options such as mounting the unit on its edge to the side of the CB antenna mounting bracket and finally decided the easiest and most secure method was mounting it flat on top of the cable bundle from the DataStorm, about 4 feet from the front of the coach.
    Note the opening for the ethernet cable is mounted toward the rear of the coach.

Don has his mounted on the electric lift for the TV antenna but my TV antenna is at the rear of the coach and I didn't think that was necessary for adequate reception. Don used the stretch electrical tape to cover all the openings to maintain a weatherproof environment with a flat mounting position and both taped and tie wrapped the unit to the cables between two wire clamps that had previously been drilled into the roof. I fished the ethernet cable down through the cabinet in front of the passenger seat, behind the TV, across to the drivers side, through the wall into the light cove on the drivers side, down into the window valence and around the edge of the window to my desk. I used a strip of Velcro to attach to the felt/carpet on the inside of the valence panel, over the wires and ot the felt/carpet again to hold the cables securely and out of sight. The ethernet cable plugs into a power injector that comes with the unit then you need a short ethernet cable to plug into a switch (or a computer if that is the only unit you will have on your network) or the WAN port of a existing router. Don uses a single router at a time (although he has multiple routers in his coach) but I am double NAT'ing using 192.168.5.1 for the EnGenius and feeding it into the WAN port on my Cradlepoint which is still on 192.168.1.1. That gives me flexibility and make it easy to move my computer system (3 computers, one network laser printer and 2 Network Attached Storage units between the house and the coach without having to redo the network setting every time. If you don't have as complicated a system, you can use the EnGenius as a standard router (its default is 192.168.1.1) and run the ethernet cable directly to a computer or a switch after the power injector. The setup and changing from one WiFi signal to another (which you will do a lot when traveling) is not difficult but is easier the second time. I will be happy to provide more guidance to anyone that wants information in setting up the router.

The result so far has been satisfying. Using a standard WiFi USB adapter, I don't get a strong enough signal to connect. Using the Cradlepoint WiFi and WAN router, even with the Hawkin Directional antenna I get high 70's to 80's (not great to barely useable). With the EnGenius on the roof, I am getting signal strengths in the upper 50's to low 60's. That is a significant improvement. It makes the difference between getting a strong signal and getting a signal that keeps dropping.

My signal is NOT as strong as Don's with his mounted vertically instead of horizontally and elevated an additional couple of feet but I didn't have a way of mounting it vertically and higher without a lot of trouble and expense.
    EnGenius viewed from the rear of the coach. Other mounting option would have been to set it vertically next to the CB antenna and strap it to the CB antenna mounting bracket (center of roof in front of the unused Satellite dish.

I will update this thread as I travel and use the system more. In the meantime, if you have any questions, ask away.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael, you convinced me. i ordered one. i want to be able to get better wifi. i can hardly connect to my wifi and the coach is only in the driveway. my wifi ranger is inside and doesnt have an external antenna.

will try it and see. now to figure out where to mount it and where to get the wires inside at.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I was in Don's coach at Q a couple years ago. I was amazed at all the electronic "stuff" he has going. All that stuff baffles me.

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

I am curious to know how well the antenna works in the dash area by the windshield, or hanging out a window.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

when i get it i will try it inside in various places first. i do have a wifi ranger wireless router that is pretty weak being inside. i do not have an external antenna on it as i am not sure where i would put it as they are like 18" tall or more.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Michael,
Mine arrived last week & I am unable to get it working. I've followed the directions on the CD, which are different from the quickstart guide that came with it. Tried turning off the firewall, but that didn't help. When I type in 192.168.1.1, it just doesn't find anything with either IE or Google Chrome.
Any advise

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

Gordon, are you plugged in directly from the EnGenius to the power injector to your computer and is your computer set to Auto DHCP rather than a fixed address? Tom and I worked on his and he ended up having to change the EnGenius to a different address to avoid a conflict with his home network.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Auto DHCP is configured, but I'm not directly pluged in. Do I go into the network plug of the power injector. or directly in the ENH200?
I could not find any instructions on this?

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

You run an Ethernet cable from your computer's ethernet port to the power injector, then a second ethernet cable from the power injector to the EnGenius. The EnGenius is hard wire only so if you want/need to rebroadcast the signal inside your coach, you will need something like the WiFi Ranger than Tom uses or the CradlePoint that I use.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Got it

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II