You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

My inverter fried today

Nope, you are good to go with what you have. The RC-50 will work just fine.

But you have me perplexed because of an earlier question.
If you have a system for monitoring State of Charge (SOC), what was it saying when you were running the batteries down to 11.1 and shutting down the inverter. If the SOC system was working properly, it should have been telling you "Danger, Will Robinson".

Those inverters are HEAVY. If yours is installed like mine. Newell put two studs in the bay wall to hang the inverter from while the four retaining bolts were installed. Those two hanging studs were at a slight angle upward, meaning the inverter had to be lifted up and out to free it. Match the mounting flanges of the old to the new before someone crawls in the bay with it, and holds it up the bay wall for installation. You may have to drill a hole or two in the new inverter to take advantage of the hanging studs, if you have them.

IIRC, Magnum is very specific that the positive cables are installed LAST. That is different than how we normally deal with 12VDC systems. The reason is that many of the control circuits do form a ground loop, and if you install pos first then you could be grounding the system through some very little wires. Not good, and produces copious smoke.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

When the inverter shut down, the independent SOC monitor was flashing "LOW" and its alarm was sounding. I was not in the coach when the system first went down. Soon after, I could smell what I describe as an electrical burn which is a familiar smell. My first response was to start the generator using the merge switch.

For some reason that I could not figure out at the time, both the house and chassis batteries were weak and would not start either the generator or the engine. As soon as I turned the inverter off, the generator started and a little while later the engine started. To my surprise, the dash merge switch is a three position switch which was in the bottom position and thus all batteries were merged. I need to mark this for the off position so it will not happen again. The merge switch still works even though it has been on for ever.

In the bay where the inverter is located, I previously installed a sliding drawer which houses a portable freezer. I hope on Tuesday that I can find someone to install the inverter for me. But if not and I have to do the work, I will plan a way to clamp the new inverter to the drawer when extended to the outside so that when it is rolled in, it should be simple matter of bolting the mounting flanges to the bulkhead with the Magnum already attached. I will have to figure out a way to safely remove the old inverter. Without the sliding drawer idea, I do not think I am strong enough to install it.

Yes, Magnum instructions makes make it clear that the cables are the last to be connected. I am now trying to figure out how to reconnect the AC cables from the old to the new.

Two days before, when I had two new tires installed and the inverter was on, the batteries were low after only two hours. I was puzzled at the time, but I think the inverter was the problem then as it is now. All 110, 240 and 12v systems work fine when on shore power or generator. Driving from Eugene to Modesto, the engine alternator charged the house and chassis batteries which leads me to conclude that the problem is with the inverter. The burn smell could only come from the inverter.

Please post or call me if anything else comes to mind - 303-547-5810, and thanks again.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,
You should have a warning light that lights up red when your batteries are merged. It is probably burnt out. Takes a bulb that is sold at Wal*Mart.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, where is the light located. Richard, after looking the inverter installation situation over this afternoon, if I cannot find someone to install it where I am in California, I am going to wait until I return to my shop in Mexico where if have rigging tools, help and when the weather is cooler this winter. It is too big of a task to take on while traveling. Once my air springs are installed, which is a priority, I am only traveling to Arizona and then to my home in Mexico. The generator will be sufficient to keep things running including my A/Cs while traveling.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

(09-06-2015, 03:12 PM)Chester Stone Wrote:  Steve, where is the light located.  Richard, after looking the inverter installation situation over this afternoon, if I cannot find someone to install it where I am in California, I am going to wait until I return to my shop in Mexico where if have rigging tools, help and when the weather is cooler this winter.   It is too big of a task to take on while traveling.  Once my air springs are installed, which is a priority, I am only traveling to Arizona and then to my home in Mexico.  The generator will be sufficient to keep things running including my A/Cs while traveling.

Chester, my light is above the switches.  That a flashlight and shine it on the dash above the switches and see if you don't see a space where it should be.  It is where all the other lights are that come on when you flip one of the switches.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Thanks Chappell, I found it just above low coolant. I now have to wonder how many other lights are out. I think I will replace the all if available at Wallyworld.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

To access the warning lights you remove the dash topper.  The individual lights are in a small holder that twists and pulls out.  Easiest way to check the bulb is to remove them & do a continuity test.  I had about a 1/3 burnt out.  They are a bulb #74 like these:

http://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Long-Life...ds=bulb+74

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks Steve.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Chester,

I don't won't to discourage you, but someone has to crawl in the bay to install the inverter and hook up the wiring. It's tight space for a little guy like me.

It sounds like you have the bases covered on the hookup wiring.

Good catch on the merge switch. Middle is Off.

Just be prepared when you lift the old one off the hanging hooks, you will have a handful. When the new one gets to you, pick it up and you will see what I mean.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

When I have played with replacing these bulbs, I have always had trouble getting the new bulb holder aligned correctly and re-installed. For me, it turned out to be easier to pull the four screws on the front of the dash and pull out the entire module being careful not to pull any connections loose. That way you can see what you are doing.

Once the bulbs have been checked and replaced, you can easily remount the module.

(In the category of for what it's worth)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama