You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

My inverter fried today

Chester, where in AZ are you going ?

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Richard, that is good advise and I am not going to attempt the install until I can find someone to do the work or get the coach back home where I will have help. Bill, our dashes must be different because I do not seem to have a module with four screws. Larry, as soon as I can get the rear air springs installed here in Modesto, we will move on the Mesa, AZ, close to Queen Creek. Will you be in the area?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,

Here is my dash showing the four screws that hold the entire module in. Like all Newells, mine might be different.

bill

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

We are in Tucson and just left Tom and Darlene's last week to get a new windshield and look at property. Will be here for a couple of weeks at least.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Bill, my dash is very different. The lights needing bulbs are above the switches and there is no module to remove. Thanks for the photo, but looks like I will have to access mine from the back, but at least they are above the switches which should give better access.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Richard and anyone else that have installed the Magnum, I have a few questions regarding installation. It seems reasonable to install the Magnum in the same place and orientation as the old Zantrex. That is with the front down and the fans at the top. This orientation seems necessary in order to have access to the a/c connections on the side. It makes more sense to me to pre-wire the a/c connections and then mount the unit with the front facing the curb side and the fans facing the drivers side. This position should allow better ventilation for the fans. I am also concerned that if mounted with the fans up, they will be too close to the insulation for adequate ventilation and perhaps a fire hazard. Thoughts please. I have made plans to have the Magnum installed Tuesday.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Richard, is the a/c wiring in the old Zantrex one line in and two lines out? See page 22 of the Magnum manual where it shows wiring for single in / single out, single in / two lines out and two lines in and two lines out. I am assuming the pre-wiring as discussed above and would like to know this before the Zantrex is removed. Thanks for our help.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Chester,

To the best of my memory, I think one in, and two out. I have a breaker panel in my basement just for the inverter circuits, and it has two breakers. I also have a plug that feeds that panel that can be manually plugged into a circuit that bypasses the inverter altogether for those circuits. And.........Newell did something with the other leg (red) going into a transformer that I forget why.

I don't understand the prewiring comment. What can be prewired? I hung the inverter and hooked it up to existing wiring.

The length of the existing wiring was the determining factor in which way I mounted the inverter.

I am not trying to evade the questions, I honestly don't recall the exact details of the wiring. It would be tomorrow afternoon before I can crawl in the basement and take pictures if you need them.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, the question is really what orientation is the inverter mounted, ie fans to the roof and front connections to the floor? I think there is a more practical way to mount it and that is the front the the curb and the fans to the street, or horizontally. Thus the a/c connections will be next to the roof and not accessible to connection after mounting the unit. Attaching the a/c wires in advance to mounting will do away with this limitation. A connector bar could be handy in doing this.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Chester.

I mounted the unit so all wiring exits on the passenger side. No wiring exits up or down. Horizontal.

This will be different if I remember than the Xantrex where wiring came in both ends. My old Xantrex was also mounted horizontallly.

Sigh, all Newells are different. Back from hiking, call me if this doesn't compute. 817 223 2056

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )