You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

ZF Suspension

Do all Newels made after 2003 have the ZF Suspension Active Steering Tag Axle

I put your question into the search engine.

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=3898

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Steerable tag axles were part of the change to the ZF suspension. Coaches #671, 681, and 685 were the first three Newells with the steerable tag axles. Then beginning with #697, also a 2004, all Newells have had the ZF steerable tag.

In short, some 2004 models had the steerable tags, but many did not. Since 2004, all Newells have had the steerable tag. Out of 39 Newells built in 2004 23 did, 16 did not.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Hello ZF suspension owners! 

Has anyone had to replace any parts/components on their ZF suspension/steering system? 

I’m a little bit in the dark about what sits under my coach, I’ll be working with Newell on sourcing replacement parts, primarily tie rod ends and other life limited parts. 

I want to educate myself on replacement parts that are available, OEM, HD (heavy duty), custom built… if there are options available I’d like to know what they are. 

Internet searches don’t yield a lot of information without specific detail about the system we have. 

I don’t recall much information about the ZF system in the owner literature provided with each coach. 

Thanks,
JK

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

Moving this thread to Suspension

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Hi Guys

Most of the ZF parts used in the suspension and steering system is made by ZF, but any aftersales is handled by Lemforder which is a ZF company and therefore any replacement parts required have to come through the ZF/Lemforder dealer network, over here in the UK and Europe there are millions of vehicles equipped with ZF parts, cars buses coaches trucks ETC.
On the common high turn over parts the motor factors and our eastern Asia friends have copied most parts and sell those through non dealer networks.
An example is I recently sourced a complete clutch assembly for my coach, a 12 speed ZF As-tronic gearbox, as you may well know they are fitted with a ZF clutch, so my local ZF agent try's to order a clutch kit from the ZF Factory in Germany, " sorry my friend, you will have to order this from the vehicle manufacturer"!!!!! Newell!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$  
So my ZF agent calls on some favours who get the individual part number from the parts in a kit at the factory, then orders the parts individually.... sorted.
The main issue is that it is very difficult to get the ZF part numbers to then google it or try and cross reference it, ZF will not make anything bespoke for Newell as the volume is just not worth it for them.

#1218 in Europe based in the UK

August 2004 Build for a 2005 Coach

Steer RL-85/E
Drive Axle A-132/S-91/PP
Steer Tag Axle RL-85A

Steering Axle Tie rod 0501.007.768 (one required)
Steering Axle Tie rod 0501.007.769 (one required)
Steering Axle Tie rod 0501.007.611 (sway bar-two required)
Control arm bushing 0501.314.963 (eight require)

Steering Tag Axle Tie rod 0501.005.797 (one required)

Attached Files
.pdf Drive Axle .pdf Size: 800.33 KB  Downloads: 13
.pdf Steer Axle RL-85:E.pdf Size: 919.49 KB  Downloads: 6
.pdf Steer Tag Axle RL-85:A.pdf Size: 835.58 KB  Downloads: 11
.pdf Lubrication and Maintenance ZF-Axle-RL-85-E-A.pdf Size: 565.55 KB  Downloads: 6
.pdf Operating Manual zf-rl-axle-manual.pdf Size: 1.05 MB  Downloads: 11
.pdf Repair Manual RL-85 5th Edition.pdf Size: 10.8 MB  Downloads: 10

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi

Nice piece of work, thank you for listing for all the ZF suspension owners.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

More to come…

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas