You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

365 front tire wheel change

(01-25-2018, 02:51 PM)smagown Wrote:  Ok, I mounted my 365's on my shiny new Alcoa rims. I have 7/8ths studs, the Dana metric IRS, the lug nuts with the washer, fit within the number sequence, all check check. Well guess what? Newell put a batch of Dana front ends starting with coach #450 and mine is #458 and they are spaced at the studs 4" center to center on adjoining lugs instead of the smaller pattern a little over 3". Wheels won't fit! Also, Newell says there is no way to replace the hubs. Now I need new 315's.

Steve
Sorry to hear of your problem with the new 365 wheels. I am looking into upgrading my coach, #581, a 2001. Does anyone know if I will have the same problem? I guess I need to check the stud spacing. Could you post a picture of your new wheels
Thanks

Dario Perini
#581  2001

Dario, you should not have that issue. The different wheel hub issue only applied to coaches 450- about 458. Newell thought it was only 5 coaches but it was at least 9.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(01-26-2018, 08:03 AM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Dario, you should not have that issue.  The different wheel hub issue only applied to coaches 450- about 458. Newell thought it was only 5 coaches but it was at least 9.

Thanks for the info

Dario Perini

I have the correct wheels ( there is only one size) #80360-1's. Steve, I have ten lugs, but 4" spacing. I met all 4 criteria, IRS Dana front suspension, 7/8ths or 22mm lugs, lug nuts with washer, and coach number. I didn't know about the short run of coaches with the larger stud spacing, I am now the latest known coach number, 458, with this axle set up.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

I changed to the 365 on the the front axle of my 06 Bluebird. I changed the Euclid studs to #9837 and ordered rims 803601 Alcoa 22.5 x 10 1/2 from Prevost Car. Tires from Advantage program. Only concern on the Bluebird was the close tolerance of the inner wheel to the tie rod end. I reduced steer axle pressure to 110 psi and experienced a much softer ride. Bluebird had overloaded front end issues with the 450 which were never really resolved.

If anyone needs these tires I have them sitting here, produced two weeks ago.
I'll keep my rims and dismount them.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

The last couple of days, i have been in a couple of extremely tight maneuvering situations. This is the first since my 365 front tire upgrade. I experienced situations where my power steering was not adequately working on my front tires till I had movement forward or backward. This made the tight maneuvering even more difficult. Is this normal for the larger front tires? Any solution?

On a similar subject how many people lift their tag axle when in tight maneuvers? Does it really help? If so, which way on the switch lifts and which way adds more pressure? One switch direction plays audible sound constantly, and one does not.

Thanks Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

Newells are not capable of 'lifting' their tag axles. You can release the air pressure from the tag axle which will reduce the weight on that axle or you can increase the weight on the tag to reduce the weight on the drive axle. Mine only reduces pressure rather than reduce or adds pressure so I will leave it up to someone who has a newer coach to provide that information.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Mike,

Neither coach I have had would "turn" the tires if the coach wasn't moving. You just feel the overpressure poppets releasing in the steering gear box. That's the pulse you feel in the steering wheel.

And I can't tell any difference in turning radius with the pressure relieved on the tag tires.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

My experience is the same as Richard's and I have 315's. On asphalt at standstill, I cannot turn the steer wheels. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004