You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

365 front tire wheel change

wow, I never thought about selling the old wheels! Great idea, Tom! eBay time...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

selling something that heavy on ebay is tough. i sold mine locally.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

You always get the best deals

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

I talked to my Michelin tire guy today and he said that they are a shortage of 365's.
He was supposed to get 24 the first of Sep.
He didn't get any and they told him maybe in Oct.

Julius & Charlene
2001 Newell #576

That is the problem. If you have to replace one they are hard to find

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Newell did mine in 2013 for 2500

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589

I did quote the cost I had from Newell because it was from several years but at that time for the earlier Newells, it was $3,000 rather than $10,000.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

It all depends.

The issue is the diameter of the wheel studs. If the wheel studs are 7/8, then it is as simple as bolting on new wheels and tires.

If the larger 1 1/8 wheel studs were used, then the wheel studs must be modified to 7/8 right handed studs.

The 1 1/8 stud takes a Budd style nut which is conical on the end and fits into a conical depression in the wheel. The nuts are right and left hand threaded. This setup uses the studs to center the rim on the hub. This is old school rim and nut style. The right and left hand threads are used to prevent the nut from unthreading due to precession. 

The 7/8 studs are all right handed, and the nut is flat with an attached washer. The attached washer has a self locking feature. This setup uses the center hole to center the rim on the hub, hubcentric.

Alcoa does not make 10.5 width rim that will work with the larger, 1 1/8 studs. That is why Newell modifies the studs to fit the 7/8, hubcentric setup.

Just trying to explain why different coaches can require different costs to convert to the 365 tires in addition to the  bodywork that Michael referenced earlier.

This info is available on other threads, I am just trying to close the obvious question in this thread for a Newell owner, "why such a big difference in the price quoted at the factory?"

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Prevost makes a wheel stud to convert from the larger studs to the right handed hub centering wheel studs. Stud & nut runs about $10 each. That is a 90% savings over Newells remachining the old studs. Plus after the machining the studs are a little too short for my liking as the new wheels are thicker.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I just talked to Tommy Key at Newell.  It will cost me $4900.00 if I don't need new studs and if I need new studs it will be $6900.00.  He said this included everything.  Seems I get a different quote every time I ask.  This should be the bottom line since Tommy is Assistant Service Manager.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot