You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

365 front tire wheel change

(12-02-2016, 09:26 AM)rooster Wrote:  I did this on my 06 Wanderlodge.  Had to change studs due to extra thickness of wheels.  Prevost Car stocked the Alcoa 803601 wheels.  Studs are Euclid 9837.  Need 20 pieces.  I chilled the studs to install them.  The old ones just drive out.  Not a big job at all.  Got tires through Advantage program.  Wheels were around $550 each.  I think the 01 on the Alcoas denoted the Duraplate coating.

The Alcoa wheels with the Dura Bright finish have the following Alcoa code--803601DB.  You can buy them on Amazon for $659 with free shipping.  You can buy the same wheels without the Dura Bright finish on Amazon for $569 with free shipping.  Anybody have a better place to buy the wheels? 

Can you also provide some more information on the Michelin XZA2 Advantage program? Phone number or contact and do we tell them we are Newell Guru members or Prevost members?  Would like to hear more as i am considering putting the 365 on the front of my 2003 Newell.

Thanks.

Bob and Pam Stump
2008 Newell P2000i-Coach # 1247
Port Orchard Washington

Got my Wheels with Dura-Brite for $550 from Prevost Car. FMCA members can access Michelin Advantage program through them. I got mine through Randy Dupree on Wanderlodge Owners Group. Once you have the number, you can use any Michelin dealer for installation. I was running 135 PSI in front before I went to the 365. Now can run 110 in front. Better ride and handling quality.

Rooster
06 450 LXi
88 Newell 174
79 Newell in Process of repower 555 to 6V92

(12-03-2016, 06:52 AM)rooster Wrote:  Got my Wheels with Dura-Brite for $550 from Prevost Car.  FMCA members can access Michelin Advantage program through them.  I got mine through Randy Dupree on Wanderlodge Owners Group.  Once you have the number, you can use any Michelin dealer for installation.  I was running 135 PSI in front before I went to the 365.  Now can run 110 in front.  Better ride and handling quality.

Rooster
06 450 LXi
88 Newell 174
79 Newell in Process of repower  555 to 6V92
Rooster, when you say Prevost Car, you mean going to the Prevost website apply for credit application and becoming a member so you can order prevost parts on line, correct?  We  are also FMCA members, so the Michelin Advantage program is something that is offered thru FMCA correct?   Can you clarify where Randy Dupree comes into the picture?

Sorry to be a pain, but would like to move forward with getting the tires and wheels and completing the upgrade. 

Thanks very much!!  Where are you located?

Bob and Pam Stump
Port Orchard Washington

Bob,

I got my wheels here http://buytruckwheels.com/22-5x10-5-hub-...ering.html

To use the FMCA method, call the Michelin Advantage phone number, 1-888-532-6435,. Tell them your FMCA number. They will take your credit card info, and authorize you to buy tires in the next thirty days. They will give you an authorization number. Give that to the dealer who installs the tires. Michelin, not the dealer, will bill the credit card. I have done this three times, and I don't know what the final charge will be until the bill comes, but I have always saved a lot over what the dealer quoted me.

Bob, do you know which studs you have? It is very important to know before you start this journey. If not, take a close up pic and post it. It is easy to tell from the picture which stud you have. If it looks like there is a concave depression under the nut, then you have the larger stud which has to be replaced. If it looks like you have a washer attached to the nut, then you are good to go.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

when i did the 365 upgrade i bought the wheels and sold the old ones. then bought the tires from the advantage program.

if i remember right the wheels cost me about 500 bucks after selling the old ones and the tires were whatever they were. like 575 each. i usually trade the old tires for the cost of mounting and balancing.

truckers and tour bus operators do not balance. us motorhome guys tend to balance them.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(12-03-2016, 11:33 AM)Richard Wrote:  Bob,

I got my wheels here  http://buytruckwheels.com/22-5x10-5-hub-...ering.html

To use the FMCA method, call the Michelin Advantage phone number, 1-888-532-6435,. Tell them your FMCA number. They will take your credit card info, and authorize you to buy tires in the next thirty days. They will give you an authorization number. Give that to the dealer who installs the tires. Michelin, not the dealer, will bill the credit card. I have done this three times, and I don't know what the final charge will be until the bill comes, but I have always saved a lot over what the dealer quoted me.

Bob, do you know which studs you have? It is very important to know before you start this journey. If not, take a close up pic and post it. It is easy to tell from the picture which stud you have. If it looks like there is a concave depression under the nut, then you  have the larger stud which has to be replaced. If it looks like you have a washer attached to the nut, then you are good to go.
Richard:

Thanks for the e-mail and the additional information on both tires, Michelin Advantage and the Newell studs.  I have spoken with Mike in the service department at Newell and he asked me to confirm the size of the studs.  He said that if the studs have a 7/8th diameter that the new Alcoa wheels will work with the 365 conversion.  I also took some pictures of the current studs today which are attached and based on you comments, i believe they should work and i do not have to replace.    I believe i can go ahead and buy the wheels and work with a Michelin tire dealer to have the tires mounted and balanced and then mounted with minimal trouble.  Newell has told me that I will probably not have to have any fiberglass work done around the wheel wells.

You are pleased with the 365 you put on your coach and the drive and ride are improved.  Thanks very much.

(12-03-2016, 05:52 PM)Bonanza Bob Wrote:  
(12-03-2016, 11:33 AM)Richard Wrote:  Bob,

I got my wheels here  http://buytruckwheels.com/22-5x10-5-hub-...ering.html

Bob, do you know which studs you have? It is very important to know before you start this journey. If not, take a close up pic and post it. It is easy to tell from the picture which stud you have. If it looks like there is a concave depression under the nut, then you  have the larger stud which has to be replaced. If it looks like you have a washer attached to the nut, then you are good to go.
Richard:

Thanks for the e-mail and the additional information on both tires, Michelin Advantage and the Newell studs.  I have spoken with Mike in the service department at Newell and he asked me to confirm the size of the studs.  He said that if the studs have a 7/8th diameter that the new Alcoa wheels will work with the 365 conversion.  I also took some pictures of the current studs today which are attached and based on you comments, i believe they should work and i do not have to replace.    I believe i can go ahead and buy the wheels and work with a Michelin tire dealer to have the tires mounted and balanced and then mounted with minimal trouble.  Newell has told me that I will probably not have to have any fiberglass work done around the wheel wells.

You are pleased with the 365 you put on your coach and the drive and ride are improved.  Thanks very much.
Here is another picture of the studs on my coach.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bob and Pam Stump
Port Orchard Washington

Bob, you do not need new studs.

I think you were asking if I were pleased. The short answer is yes.

The longer answer is that I did notice some improvement in ride quality due to the lower pressure, but the most significant change I noticed was that I no longer felt like I was rolling over the outside tire in a fast sweeping turn on the interstate. We were living in West Virginia at the time, and some of their major highways had pretty good bends in them. I would suck up the seatcover when I hit them anywhere close to the speed limit. I no longer had that "feeling" when I converted.

The tires also run much much cooler in the summer than the 315s did.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Bob, I am certain that Mike has given you the correct information. I show that #443-696, except 671, 681 and 685, can be upgraded without any fender modifications.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(12-03-2016, 06:02 PM)Richard Wrote:  Bob, you do not need new studs.

I think you were asking if I were pleased. The short answer is yes.

The longer answer is that I did notice some improvement in ride quality due to the lower pressure, but the most significant change I noticed was that I no longer felt like I was rolling over the outside tire in a fast sweeping turn on the interstate. We were living in West Virginia at the time, and some of their major highways had pretty good bends in them. I would suck up the seatcover when I hit them anywhere close to the speed limit. I no longer had that "feeling" when I converted.

The tires also run much much cooler in the summer than the 315s did.
Thanks for the information, very much appreciated.

Bob and Pam Stump
Port Orchard Washington

I called the local Michelin Advantage dealer that was listed on the site. The guy was knowledgeable but unable to change out the studs. Ironically, he said the 315's are now back ordered. If true, the blows a whole in the idea that 315's are easily available and 365's are tough to get.

He had a concern that the hub may need to be changed in addition to the studs because with bud style the weight resides on the studs, whereas with hub centric the weight resides on the hub. He did not think the ears on my hub (from pictures) would strong enough or exact enough to properly change from bud to hub. It seems like many have done this and Newell endorses, so I am thinking I need to find an experienced dealer.

Any suggestions for a dealer that can sell the Michelin advantage, change the studs, and mount balance etc. In the southeast. I could go to OK, AR, TN, MS, LA, AL, or FL?

Thanks
Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model