You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

LED flasher

I am going to replace the turn signal flashers. Is there a particular flasher that I should use considering that I plan to install LED tail-lights in the future?
Thanks

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

on both of my coaches, i changed the tail lights to led's. i didnt change the flashers. they go through a relay before they get to the tail lights if i remember right.

so i dont think it is going to matter as long as it will carry the current you have now.

maybe someone will know better than i

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Wiring can be different from year to year, but on mine the rear tail lights are relay driven. That means the load on the flahser will not change no matter what you do to the tail lights.
But I had a problem still - on my coach, believe it or not, the turn signals do not self cancel. You have to remember to cancel them yourself or find them still on miles after your last turn - not a good thing. The flahser on my '99 was located behind a panel in the passenger footwell and I just could not hear it. What to do? I searched around and found a guy that was making custom flahsers with a toner generator built in. I think there were several models to pick from based on the number of lights you were to flash. At that time I hadn't really come to the realization that the rear lights were not actually controlled directly from the flasher and picked a model that in the end didn't work too well as sometimes there was not enough load to make it flash. As a temporary solution I added some resistors in parallel with the coil of the relays and it flashed just fine and beeped loudly enough that I never failed to cancel it.
But, I really was bothered by the resistors and got back with the vendor and he now had a special version for LED lights that would switch regardless of the load, but it was a three terminal device, with the third terminal a pigtail that the user had to connect to ground. I ordered it and plugged it in and connected the ground and it did not work. Turns out it was polarlity sensitive and Newell, according to this guy, did not follow standard DOT practice for how the flahser socket was wired. I just swapped the wires in the socket and it flashes and beeps just perfectly now.
Here is a link to the supplier:

http://www.turnalarm.com/

Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Rus,

Now that you have solved this problem....

Have you looked under the drivers armrest? On mine there is a little reostat knob that changes the volume of the "beep" when the turn signal is on. It goes from loud to really loud. But, every once in a while it fades out to almost nothing. Maybe you have the buzzer and some component is not working properly.

{Grin} when my brother helped me test drive the coach, he had the turn signals on (the beeper was going like mad) yet he did not hear it. It was at a frequency where his hearing had fallen off. (He has used motorcycles for commuting for years). So maybe its beeping and you cannot hear it! Smile

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Hi Bill - Ha Ha I am aware that some coaches have the variable beeper. Mine does not. Maybe it was added to later models as yours and Toms are both newer than mine. Or, as you say, maybe it's somewhere else and not working, but no reostat under the arm rest.

Can you hear me now??? I grew up the son of a DuPont employee. That company was on the forefront of industrial and home safety. They even thought a powered lawn mower was too dangerous for their employees. I remember pushing while my brother pulled on a rope as we mowed the grass with a reel mower. We drilled and bolted sealtbelts ( given by the plant ) into our car before they were ever installed by the OEM's. All this to say, I was careful with my hearing from the getgo. I wore plugs when we finally got a mower, when I woodworked for years, and always when I was riding ( with my muffler installed on my BMW ). Even so, the bad luck of a nurse puncturing my eardrum and changes with aging, I have lost a lot of hearing. Thankfully others must be in the same boat and the "turnalarm" get the job done for me.
Are the dogs okay? Later - Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004