You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

East Coast

We left Indiana last Saturday morning headed east. We completed the 1000 mile trip at the Wild Duck Campground in Scarborough, Maine near Portland. The Newell performed flawlessly!! This is the longest trip we've taken since the rebuild. It looks like we will have a few days of rain but we'll "roll with it" and enjoy the time away..!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

We are now at the Pumpkin Patch RV Resort in Hermon, Maine. A couple pulled in next to us in their Dutch Star MH and said that they had seen their first Newell a few days ago in Berlin, Ohio. A very nice 1972 model. The owner told them the Newell "story" and they were surprised to end up here in Maine parked next to another Newell. I'm wondering if they met Bobandpeni?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

We arrived home Sat. evening. 2200 trouble free miles on the Newell !! We averaged 5.8 mpg (calculated on fill-ups). The oil level on the 8V92 was on full when we left and is still just above the "add" mark.
When we headed east the Ohio 80-90 toll gate scales showed that we had an overweight axle. After having to turn around and go over the scales a second time and waiting for the toll gate operator to make a phone call she gave us a ticket anyhow. I called Larry Weikert who had dealt with the Ohio toll road in the past he said that they had to give him an special ticket as well. On the way home the same thing happened but the more experienced toll gate operator knew what to do and we were on our way much sooner.
We enjoyed Lobster Rolls in Maine, visited Acadia National Park, several historic homes and a couple Architectural "junk yards" ...stores full of old beautiful fixtures and woodwork etc from historic buildings that had been torn down. We were exploring the backroads of New Hampshire when we came across a beautiful new Shop/storage building full of old muscle cars. I pulled in for a closer look. The owner, Chuck was there and welcomed us. He is retired and has amassed a collection of 8 beautiful older cars including a 1969 El Camino 396, 1961 Pontiac convertible, 1970 Pontiac Grand Prix, 1970 Oldsmobile 442 and others. The building featured a spacious "man cave" , restrooms etc.  I think even Tom would have been impressed!!!
We stayed a four different campgrounds:
Wild Duck campground and RV park resort in Scarborough, Maine. Very nice. A bit tight getting in and out.
Pumpkin Patch RV Resort, Hermon Maine. Excellent, Spacious. One of the best we have visited.
Danforth Bay camp and Resort, Freedom, New Hampshire. Nice. The first time in 20 years of camping that vaccination papers for our little Shitzu were required. Maybe it's a New Hampshire law.
Sugar Ridge RV park, Danville, Vermont. Nice but the most expensive (X 2) They did not provide WIFI instead referring us to an outside provider who required an additional $7.00/day. Additionally after requesting a 50 amp site I discovered we only had a 30 amp hook up after I got parked. We got by OK. Sometimes you gotta "rough it" when you're camping!!
As we headed west toward home I asked my wife if we could just keep driving!!! She was game but we both knew that the responsibilities of job and family were waiting....and I was missing my Corvette! Til next time!!!