You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air System operation

Guys when I shut down my engine a loud hissing noise is heard and can traced to the engine battery compartment. Pictured is the noise maker all air is dumped till the gauge reaches 0. Is this normal? It is not causing me any problems, just asking if this is supposed to happen. Thanks in advance for your comments. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

hi,

first of all....no that is not normal. there should be no air being released anywhere back there when you shut the engine off. only time there will be is if you are in level mode and actively leveling.

that gauge is your supply pressure. when it says zero, nothing that takes air will work. not a big deal if you have no air doors (inside or out) air slides, etc. or toilets.

that assumes the gauge is good, which i assume it is.

next, are you sure the air is coming from the dryer/regulator that you pictured? there are lots of other things in that area that could be leaking.

be sure that it is. if so, that means it is likely leaking when the engine is running as well and you are not hearing it and the engine compressor is able to keep up. it should not leak just with the engine off.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

That filter is a common source of air leaks. There should ne no air leaks anywhere in this area.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Many have a "auto" drain - then crud builds in the bowl and doesn't allow it close properly.

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Going to disassemble clean and assemble I'll let y'all know the outcome

What year coach do you have please? I need to add that to my list...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Mine is a 1997 year model. Removed separator, bowl was cracked and the mechanism for emptying was inoperable. Replaced with new separator I purchased from an air compressor sales and service business. No more air leaking.