You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Possible fire hazard

A while back Russ White posted a warning about the insulation on the 4/0 cable going from a positive battery post to the inverter fuse holder that was degrading & causing a potential fire hazard.

Russ' warning caused me to inspect mine since his & my coach are only 1 apart.  Mine too was starting to degrade, but on a much lesser level than on Russ' coach.  Mine continued to degrade until the inner stranded copper wire was clearly visible which was clearly a potential fire hazard.  None of the other battery cables exhibited this degrading.

On my coach the 4/0 cable runs from the positive house battery post, out the back of the battery compartment, runs through the center of the coach and ends up in the inverter compartment and bolts up to one end of the inverter fuse.  The old cable is tie wrapped and sealed in so I cut out as much as I could.  I ran a new cable from the inverter compartment, through the plumbing compartment and into the battery compartment.

All is now working well and a fire hazard has been removed.  Thanks Russ!

I would suggest that every one monitor the condition of the cable from the inverter fuse to the positive battery connection.  For those with a '97, '98 or '99 I would suggest a very close inspection.  It is my opinion, we know what that is worth, that this may be the result of some bad 4/0 cabling that Newell unknowingly purchased that is degrading in a very unusual manner.  I have had several battery experts inspect the old cabling and none have seen this type of degrading without chemical interaction or extreme conditions not present in our coaches.  While my cable was degrading in the battery compartment, it was degrading just as bad in the center coach run and the inverter compartment.

Please don't ignore a fire hazard.................................

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

i bet there is more than just that one cable - wouldn't the generator cables be the same size?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Adrian,
I will take your bet.

Since I have been to the school of "not all Newells are the same", I will refer to my coach. There is only one 4/0 battery cable in my coach--it runs from the top battery bank positive post to the inverter fuse in the inverter compartment. All other battery cables, including the genset cables are 3/0 on my coach. Only the 4/0 cable showed the signs of insulation cracking and degrading. All of the 3/0 cabling were in good shape except one that had some corrosion--it was replaced.

NOW is the time for, especially folks who own coaches in our year range, to verify that they do not have degrading insulation which exposes the wire itself and could cause a fire if shorted out. When I checked my coach I inspected all of the battery cables and would encourage every one to do the same. Cost is only time to do the inspection. If you find that your coach's battery cables are configured different than mine, don't be surprised--"no two Newells are the same--JUST CHECK.

My cost was some time & $106.60. Most of my time was spent planning the project. I ran some 1/4" tubing through the route that is was routing the cabling and this allowed me to easily measure how much cabling I needed to buy.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks Steve and Russ for the heads up!
I will inspect mine now.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

STEVE,

MY COACH IS ONLY 4 BEHIND U & I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM FIVE YEARS AGO, THAT SAME CABLE WAS IN VERY BAD

CONDITION.......HAD IT REPLACED AS SOON AS COULD SEE THE COPPER.

MARK

Mark & Beverly Fincke
99 Newell Show Coach, # 527 (Heavy Metal)
Twin Slides, Rear Bath
08 Saturn Vue XR  SUV Toad

99 Escalade ESV.

Mark,
Glad you caught it. That is now 3 coaches very close together. That is why I believe this is a problem with the cable Newell used.

Does this problem affect 3 coaches, 30 coaches or 300??????

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I did some Google research on this:
1. Nehring is an American company and all it's products are made in the USA.
2. Neoprene is less susceptible to deterioration.
Couldn't find any information of defective wiring from Nehring, but obviously Newell bought a batch that didn't hold up. Can't blame Newell on this one, just bad luck.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Thanks for the heads up. I went to inspect mine. I have 3/0 cabling, and I saw no degradation.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Mine is 3/0 and is ok.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

My coach is 2003 and had the 4/0 wire...but a different manufacturer (Essex).  Cable looks fine by visual inspection.

Thanks Steve for the heads up!

bill

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama