You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Pressure on tag axle

Brad ours did as you described when i applied hard brakes with 25 psi so i bumped up to 30 and havent had any problem Brian and lana p.s. it was a little hot when we got to yuma 107---

87 #139 40" tag 8v92ta ht740

When I recently purchased my 2001 in March, I made a emergency stop on my first trip. That stop created a major flat spot on my tag tires. Not a big problem since I upgraded the steer tires to 365 and put the front 315s on the tag. I am a little confused by the postings - should I set the pressure to 25 or 30? I run 100 pressure on the tags, and 110 on the drives.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

We are talking about the pressure on the tag AXLE rather than the tire pressure. 100 PSI is the correct tag tire pressure on most of the Series 2000 Newells. I am not sure that Newell continued to put an adjustable pressure valve on the tag for later Series 2000 Newells.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Chester,

Michael is correct. This thread discusses the pressure in the air bags that support the tag axle. I doubt you even have the ability on your model year to adjust that pressure. By the time my coach was build in '99 that regulator was not longer provided.
If you wish to learn about how to determine the correct air pressure for your tires you may start a new thread and ask about that. I am sure you will get some great advice. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Attached is a photo of an air control valve located in the small bay next to the engine bay. I have assumed it controls air pressure to some or all air bags, but I may be mistaken. It currently shows 16 lbs. pressure and it has an adjustment knob. Would this be the valve that controls the pressure in the tag air bags? If so, should I adjust the pressure to 25 or 30 lbs?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,

I think there is a good chance that is the regulator for the air pressure for the slide-out seal. Unless you are very sure it is not, I do not recommend increasing the pressure.

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

on mine that is the valve for the bedroom slide out seal. there is another one for the front slide seal up front in a bay on the drivers side.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Chester,
I'm going to agree with russ on that regulator being for your slide seal.

Some time in the late 80s or early 90s Newell quit making the tag air bag pressure adjustable. I know there is a switch on the dash, but all that does is release tag air pressure through a solenoid system. Check out this rear suspension air diagram to understand how it is plumbed. Note: the tag air tank is two tanks that are welded together on the inside, so the left & right acts independently. If you want to call me to discuss it I'll PM you my number.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,
Your posting of the rear suspension air diagram reminded me of a question I had from when it was first posted.
Do your tag air bags operate at the same pressure as the drive axle bags?
Given the recent prices posted for the original solonoids & that this configutation uses 8 solonoids instead of my original 12, I am thinking of re configurating my coach.

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

Gordon,

Give the diagram and the lack of a regulator, I am under the impression that my tag bags get the same pressure as the drive bags.

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )