You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Pressure on tag axle

Gordon & Russ,
The tag air bags do run at the same pressure as the drive air bags. My coach only has 6 solenoids for the rear suspension, not 8: 2 Travel-L & R, 2 Raise-L & R and 2 Lower-L & R. The only time the pressure would differ is when you flip the dash switch, which closes the incoming air solenoids and exhaust air from the two tag tanks thru the second solenoid.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I don't think it does on a 1990-1993 but it may on later models.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael,
I was hoping that you could help us determine when Newell made the change to a single 6 pack on the rear suspension. I'm only guessing late '93 to '94, but there have been reports of the double 6 pack set up even later. It appears the single rear 6 pack set up was the predominant design until Newell changed to the Valid Leveling System.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks guys.
I was just studying the diagram again, and could not figure out why full line pressure was going to one of the "SV" on each side.
I thaught there were 8 solonoids because thats what I saw in the drawing. I can only see a need for 6 total .

If I convert mine to this style, I will need a second regulator in addition to the original as the air supply will be coming fron 2 sources as opposed to the original one..

Thanks again

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

Unfortunately, I don't have that information in my database. I don't know if the change was sudden, i.e. all models after a certain number or if they continued to make some with the extra solenoids for the tag after the initial use of the single 6 pack on the rear suspension.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Gordon, I don't think you will be much better off. There are two of the SV on each side. So you would have to add four valves to change the setup.

Those SV's in Steves diagram are the key to how the system works. When you flip the tag switch on the dash, the first SV valve has to close to isolate the tag from the drive axle.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,
In Steve's diagram I am assuming 2 travel solonoids, 2 raise solonoids (these 4 valves are located in the item labeled 6-pack) and w/the 4 SV's in the diagram, thats back to 8.

OR is there 6 valves in the 6 pack

OR are some of the SV's located in the 6 pack

I can see how fliping the tag dash switch, isolates the tag from the drive, but what does the red line pressure do? Also I assume that the second SV is also activated by the tag dash switch to exhaust.

Still don't see a need for line pressure?

I guess my OCD is kicking in but I really want to completely understand how this works.

I am in the process on completely replacing the air leveling system with something more reliable.

This later style should also allow using the tag axle in the leveling process with better control

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

Gordon,
I may have led to some of your confusion. My system has the normal 6 pack configuration with 6 solenoid valves. Then there are two more solenoids valves that are mounted up in the inner frame rails on each side. So that is a total of ten. The frame rail solenoids are what allow you to dump air out of the tag. Here is a picture of the solenoid valves that are mounted in the frame rails.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,
A picture is worth a 1000 assumptions, most of which I made were wrong.

I assumed there were only 4 valves in the 6 pack because with the 2 valves on the frame, no exhaust at the 6 pack would be needed.
The exhaust valve under the frame could be used either to just exhaust the tag with the lower SV closed, or exhaust both with the lower SV valve open, as it would be in the travel & raise position.

I believe the lower valve in your picture is an ABS Modulation Valve.

That would answer my question as to why line pressure is introduced into the rear leveling further down from all controls.

Let me know what you think

Thanks again

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

Gordon,
The solenoids in the inner frame are only used to lower the tag pressure using the dash toggle switch. One solenoid blocks the common air bag pressure and the other exhausts the air from the tag tank. The inner frame rail solenoids are not energized and have no effect on the travel or leveling mode--that is done strictly through the 6-pack. The 6-pack system is part of the HWH leveling system, the inner frame rail solenoids are not. Without the inner frame rail solenoids Newell had no way to isolate the tag tanks or reduce the tag pressure. Remember in my coach Newell only advises using the tag switch to shift weight to the drive axle for scaling purposes. I have never used the switch.

I hope this offers some clarification.....................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531