You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator radiator cooling fans.

701 has a side mount genset with a radiator that lays flat in an adjoining compartment. On top of the radiator sits a squirrel cage with an electric motor to turn it. Today the electric motor became extremely hot and quit rotating as fast and eventually quit all together. I replaced the motor my self in July of 2014. It quit in the spring of this year and Newell replaced it with another one. Does anyone have any ideas why I would go through 3 in just over a year?

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Reasons for fan motor failure: inadequate or undersized wiring, low voltage, high voltage, inadequate air flow across the motor for cooling, to small a motor for the load being placed on it, dirt, moisture, vibration/misalignment, defective motor, bad capacitor.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Marc,

Just cause I love you, let's translate Michael's excellent answer into executable actions. Take your voltmeter and measure the voltage at the motor with the motor running. Clamp the ammeter around one of the legs and measure the current. Read the wire size on the wiring.

Post those numbers, and the electrical guys can advise.

Look at the capacitor and read the rating on the side. It will be a number in microfarads. Replace it just for grins. They are relatively inexpensive.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Capacitor was new I know a year ago. Not sure if Newell replaced it earlier this year. I'll be there tomorrow I'll have them give me the voltage info

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Current draw and wire size too.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )