You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

diff lock on 2002

i got stuck out back of my shop over the weekend.  we did get it out with a lot of digging and a piece of plywood.  

i used my differential lock for the first time that i remember.

then once out, the diff lock indicator light over the drivers head indicator panel would not go off.  

there is a lighted rocker switch on the center console, then the diff lock indicator overhead.

went back and forth etc but it did not go off.  the lighted rocker switch would go on and off.

evidently the way it works is the lighted rocker switch energizes an air solenoid valve that is directly below the rear six pack in the drivers side engine bay.  turning the rocker switch on and off would put air to the diff and turning the switch off would release air pressure on the valve.  

there are 3 terminals on the panel in front of the passenger seat.  one that said diff lock,  two that said diff lock indicator.  

diff lock one went on and off with the switch and the valve accordingly went on and off

so with newell friends watching the drive wheels i did a sharp left hand turn in my crushed granite and then a hard right hand turn and the feeling was the diff lock was off.

but light was still on.  so we put it in the shop, jacked up the rear drivers side drive axle and the tire spun freely while the other side was fixed.  so it was off

now the indicator light went off.  evidently it is tied to some sensor somethere and you have to drive forward a bit to get it to go off

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Glad the light didn't turn out to be an ordeal. Moral of the story is: It is much easier to get a Newell stuck than unstuck.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com