You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Height Control Not Working

This short tale my help you diagnose a similar issue with your coach in the future. After the last trip, the coach would not reset to the ride travel height on one corner after I manually leveled it. Since I had recently installed new height control valves, I ASSUMED it was a HCV problem. So I spent the better part of an hour readjusting the HCV with no improvement. Still on the wrong track, I manually adjusted it to the correct height and it seemed to be OK. I next made the second wrong assumption, I assumed that something had caused the HCV to malfunction.

In piddling around with the coach, it still was not acting right on this corner. Then it hit me, a malfunctioning travel solenoid would keep the the HCV from working. Sure enough, the travel solenoid valve for that corner was not working, or opening. A quick fix and the coach is sitting pretty.

The moral of the story being that not all ride height issues are caused by the HCV.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Trouble shooting 101.....always check the easy things first....I always assume it is something expensive and/or complicated.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Actually I find many times it is complicated and expensive. However, eventually you run out of things to fix cuz your rig is almost new again. Can't wait for next summer to try out all our new stuff.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

(10-13-2012, 12:15 PM)whatsnewell Wrote:  Trouble shooting 101.....always check the easy things first....I always assume it is something expensive and/or complicated.

So true! Especially true when troubleshooting 12 volt systems. When using a voltmeter, don't forget voltage on one side does not necessaritly mean the current is flowing out the other side, especially when you are using an alternate ground for testing.

(10-31-2012, 03:11 PM)Johnc Wrote:  
(10-13-2012, 12:15 PM)whatsnewell Wrote:  Trouble shooting 101.....always check the easy things first....I always assume it is something expensive and/or complicated.

So true! Especially true when troubleshooting 12 volt systems. When using a voltmeter, don't forget voltage on one side does not necessaritly mean the current is flowing out the other side, especially when you are using an alternate ground for testing.
Just installed all new ride height valves and linkage from Rob at King of the road at DACP. Rob made a bracket which mounted where the old valves were. Took a short test ride and everything seem much better with the compressor not running hardly at all and the ride felt great. Was a fairly simple fix if you don't mind twisting behind the tires. I did jack and block the coach as high as possible.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

sweet

None of us have had enough experience to know how long the King of Road valves will hold up. But your experience mirrors mine so far. Very low air use while rolling down the road.

Rob sent me some of the brackets and I agree they will make the installation much easier. Rob listened to input from other owners and has put together a Newell kit which makes the air lines mate up, and the mounting holes match up.

I am sorry we missed connection while you guys were in WV. Sorry about the cell phone coverage

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )