You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How do the end caps get sealed?

Gang,

Every since I have owned my '03 coach, I have had rain water in the electric reel bay.  (Under Number 2 slide).  Newell has worked on it and improved the water situation, but I am still seeing a fair amount of water.

I have always believed the water was coming from the slide seal.  But since we cannot see any problem with that ... i am thinking that water may be coming from the joint between the coach body and the rear cap.  Is that even a thing? 

I have never been on top of my coach so I don't even know what it looks like.  Simple minded me is thinking about getting some of that Sika Tape and run across the seam on the top.

So, have you found and fixed a leak in the rear of the coach?  I would love to hear the story.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill,
Rather than trying to continue "chasing" a leak, consider having the compartment pressurized so you know where it is leaking and doing a final fix.  Have heard of the Prevost guys taking this approach.  Any chance it is just some thing simple like the compartment door seal?

To answer your question, the rear cap is riveted along the roof seam and then covered with self leveling caulking. I'll assume that Newell places a sealant of some type between the mating surfaces. That would be a good question for Newell.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I sealed all of my roof seams (5, I think), sunroof over the shower, and two vents with an epoxy tape named Eternabond. Small cuts can also be used to seal screws in the roof. No more leaks. I purchased a 2" x 50' roll through Amazon and used a wallpaper roller to apply it.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I use the Chester system . Eternabond is fantastic. I access the roof through the skylight in the bathroom . Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

I am heading to Newell on 18th of Jan and will ask them! I like the idea of using their smoke machine and sealing it to the bay...but I am almost positive the smoke will go into the coach because of cables that go between the transfer switch and the breaker box.

Thanks guys!
bill

ps. Russ, I don't have skylight in Bathroom, only a magic fan and that is way too small for me.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

My roof has been sprayed with white Rhino polyurethane truck bed lining.  Works real well and being sort of rough makes it safer to be on top.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Just a thought: do you get water in the bay with slide out as well as in? You can water test with a water hose and sprayer - do not spray directly at the coach sides but more like rain falling. You can get a water detection device to indicate when the bay starts getting wet - there are some that will let you 'sniff' for water also so you can track it down (I need one of these)...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

It actually seems to be worse if the slide is in...but cannot really tell. I have tried the hose thing with inconclusive results...but will make another attempt.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I usually stay away from things that I have no experience with but.........When I am trying to find a freshwater leak I will use Food Coloring. Not sure that this helps but if you could find a way to use some Food Coloring on the exterior (again I am not sure how this would work unless say you used a bucket?) this may help isolate the problem.
Another thought..."the longer something is supposed to last...the harder it would be to get rid of"
good luck!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch