You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Finding air leaks

Going circuit by circuit is time consuming, but when I'm done I will be close to leak free on these circuits.  The last circuit revealed a major leak in the bedroom slide seal circuit--it wouldn't hold a hundred pounds for 5 seconds.  Raised the bed, propped it up and disconnected the electric boom as it sits on the lower inspection cover.  Setting aside the lower inspection hole cover reveals the aluminum slide structure.  In the upper left corner of the inspection hole is the 1/4" air line in, shut off valve, slide seal regulator, solenoid and the line out to the slide seal (some hidden in photo).  The shut off valve was leaking so badly I could easily hear it.  It was leaking from the valve stem.  I had to already replace the same valve on my salon slide that was leaking from the stem.  I will replace it with a ball valve like I did on the front slide.

The second inspection hole shows the slide mechanism that houses the micro switches that tell the solenoid when the slide is either all out or all in.  The mechanism in the picture shows it up against the "L" stop and the physical stop--the bolt which is adjustable.  When the slide goes out the mechanism with the micro switches moves toward the back and will contact the micro switch "L" bracket and adjustable bolt stop--this is visible in the lower inspection hole at the foot of the bed.  This slide is moved out by a single hydraulic boom and pulled in by the same boom that is connected to the slide.  With the slide out the boom and the connecting point is visible by looking up under the middle of the bedroom slide--it comes covered, but most of the covers have long since been removed or fallen out.  Remember this is a HWH slide, but they may not all be the same.  The salon slide is totally different.

If you have a slide coach I would suggest that you check to see if your front slide has a similar on/off valve and replace it.  If your front slide still has this valve I would advise replacing the bedroom one also.  Yours may have already been changed out.

Also pictured is a leak sniffer tool that I have been using.  Once I get the new on/off valve installed, I will check the circuit with my leak down tool to insure it is leak free.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,

What is the purpose of the shut-off valve? I have Valid slides, so I may not have these valves, but I am interested in learning!

Thanks,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

If you are going to work on the air system, you can shut off the valve and your seal will stay inflated even when you drain the air pressure.  It also can be used to check for air leaks beyond the valve as you can use the regulator gauge as a leak down tool.  If they were replacing your seal they could do so without draining all the air from the coach.  Maybe a few more that I haven't thought of........................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, that valve for my salon slide was leaking badly when I bought the coach. So there must be a generic problem with them

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )