You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Trailer or Toad

We've been pulling a 26' enclosed trailer for over 8 years now, and in only a handful of cases have we had to drop the trailer in an RV park.  I installed a Trailer Valet a few years ago which helps me maneuver the trailer when off the hitch in tight spaces, and it has come in handy numerous times.  In Tahoe I used it to maneuver the trailer into this position.....

Here is what the Trailer Valet looks like.....

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Thanks for the feedback, I am looking at the Black Widow ramp and the advice on towing trailers is greatly appreciated.

Dario

dario, your comment about ramps and trailers puzzles me. enclosed car hauler trailers have a door that comes down and is the ramp.

my only advise is this. get one that fits what vehicle you want to take with you and try and have some room to spare. most car hauler trailers that are not very high, so a tall vehicle will be a challenge. meaning a pickup truck etc.

i do not tow behind the coach with a trailer....i have a honda crv with m and g brake system.....

but i do have a 20 foot haulmark enclosed car hauler i use behind my truck alot. i used it for my 4 seat rzr side by side.

other advise and this is personal preference is to get one with torsion springs and not leaf springs. better ride in my opinion.

and get one that is 10k gross weight.

my haulmark is all of the above......

i also put a electric tongue jack on it and a solar panel on the roof with good sized agm battery and solar controller in the front corner inside. i have e track all the way around and it is great as well.

my two cents worth...

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hi Tom

The ramp is to use when towing my Dodge behind the RV, to load one of my bikes. The trailers I have been looking at do have built in ramps and torsion axles 
I am looking for around 24' with high ceilings, lined walls and ceilings and good quality. There are a lot to look at out there

Thanks

Dario

i think 24' is a good size. i just happened on my 20'r used and it is quite nice as well. i dont haul cars, just stuff and my rzr.

although i think my honda and or 40 ford would fit just fine.

clarke's is 24' i believe

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

My trailer is 26' including a 4' tongue.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

My last trailer I had for 15 years (90' model) and it was a stock off the shelf. Barn doors on the rear, stock side door height. wood structure and interior walls and floor.  I banged my head each time I walked in and out. After several cut on my scalp, I got a trailer (05') to fix all my mistakes on the first one. After 50k +/- miles and 15 years, I sold it for what i paid for it.

20' interior x 9' ceiling, (26' overall) makes a 8' long ramp door to the rear, easier in and out for low to the ground cars. AC and Heater roof mounted. 6k lbs electric winch mounted below the floor, with a trap door and roller on the lid for the cable to run over when winching in cars. 4' wide x 7' tall front passenger side door for easier loading of dirt bikes. electric jack on the front. All aluminum chassis, & interior walls, no wood at all. All polished SS riveted panels on the out side. V nose to cut wind. Torsion axles, 10 K GVW. Drivers side door for exit of car over the axles. 12v and 120v lights. Awning on passenger side. Flood lamps mounted on pass exterior wall. Tie down points everywhere, tool bench and cabinets mounted in the nose. Cabinet for helmets, aerosol cans, and oil mounted high on the walls. Everything has its place.

My only mistake was I should have made it taller (24"), so that I could have updated the trailer later to a stacker to carry more stuff. and maybe 12k lbs GVW.

Ps, the SS side look great and always looks clean, but it took a lot off my payload capacity. Ask any Prevost owner about the SS siding weight.

Unlike Coaches, these trailers, never really lose value. So what ever you spend, you most likely can recover later if needed.

my 3 cents ?... Big Grin

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

We have learned to acccept the fact that at 65 ft , we don't fit in every rv campsite. But then again would we if we were pulling a toad and were only  55 ft ? We have stayed in campgrounds where when we arrived, they visually saw the rig and decided we had to unhook, although we gave them all the details previously over the phone or internet. This issue is caused by the software most campgrounds use. Question 1, how long is the coach, 2, towing? yes or no, but no place to enter length of towed vehicle. Personally, I like having a "garage" to keep all my very needed man stuff in.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

This comment is somewhat related, but many of you know the Master Planner, Rhonda. She uses the website to see if there are openings, but she ALWAYS calls to make reservations. She has found some friendly conversation helps to get you the best spot for the bigger rigs.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Can we calculate solar electricity production from weather data or what are the parameters that are required to calculate the solar electricity production? I advise look this review about How to Get the Cheapest Solar Panels? | Websolarguide