You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Replacement of Backup Camera on '82

Our original INTEC Backup Camera with a CRT display on our 1982 Newell went out. I contacted INTEC to find out that this system is no longer supported due to the lack of parts. After searching this forum and advice from others;
http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=156

I decided on a System from Rear View Safety; http://www.rearviewsafety.com
The system is the RVS-770613 with a swap out for RVS-422 (U-Bracket) and a swap out for RVS-C01 (Round Camera that is closer in dimensions to the original Lens).

The challenge here was to get a new camera into the old housing because if not there would either be a very large hole in the rear to be repaired or covered or a useless housing with another camera mounted on it. The housing removed:

1st was to strip the mounting bracket of the original camera and lens:

Then I made a simple bracket to adapt the new camera to the original mounting bracket:

once back together it looks like it did before and I now have a color LCD display:

The wire-ways are behind access panels that run the length of the coach with removable panels inside of the cabinest and closets Running the wires was very straight forward after removing the access panels down the street side (along with everything in those cabinets and closets). I taped a wire to the original cable and then taped that to the new cable to help pull it through the coach cutting away the useless cable as I went.

hopefully this would help someone else

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Great write-up and photos Steve.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Steve is the camera infrared? I did mine the exact way you did yours except my infrared camera would be blinded ( I was told) looking thru the glass of the housing. So I popped the glass out and then cut a new metal piece to go in its place that the new camera lense stuck out of.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

The glass came out easily. 1st remove the metal ring, then begin to pry (gently and slowly) working around the perimeter of the glass that is held in by the rubber profile.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch