You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Leak detection tools

Chuck,

Here is what I do....

On the bottom of the ping tank associated with the 120V pump, I installed a quarter turn valve (Home Depot). The output of this valve goes to under the coach. I use it to let the accumulated water out of the ping tank.

It has the nice side effect of being able to dump the air out of the system. Turn off both pumps and open the valve. 10 seconds later no air in any of the house systems.

The bags will only deflate if they have a leak or you have a malfunctioning solenoid valve.
The seals could go either way. A couple of my seals have check valves and couple do not. In either case, it won't hurt to have the seal deflated while you work on something associated with the air system.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill’s way works. Several other techniques for bleeding down the air system quickly are to turn off all compressors and gently and repeatedly pump brakes.

Or, my favorite is to use my “adaptor” that goes into the aux air supply port in the passenger side engine bay. The adaptor is used to supply external air to the coach. Mine is male quick connect on both ends with a quarter turn valve in the middle. Stick it in the port,open the quarter turn, and pressure is gone. Quickly.

You could also open the petcock on the ping tank located in the passenger drive wheel well. That tank needs to be drained anyhoo.

That configuration of tees and junctions at the 12V compressor is a great place to use Loctite 545 on the fittings. It is a jig saw puzzle to fit all those fittings together and align them without leaving one or two fittings a little on the loose side. The 545 is made to work in those less than ideal tightness conditions. Just give it 12 hrs to set before pressurizing the system.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Bill and Richard for the info. I left the compressor off overnight as the project was interrupted. This morning, the slide seals were down as well - I'll take that as evidence of slight leakage in that circuit, unsurprisingly. The original dump valve circuit leak was fixed by replacing the offending push-in T with a compression fitting, beginning the gradual process of replacing all. Richard, I surmise that you use 545 instead of teflon as a thread sealant? Or is it involved somehow with a compression ferrule?
Compressor was coming on every 45 minutes with no appliance use - just now had two hours between compressor cycles including a toilet flush and a round trip of the air door. Victory lap.

2001 #579 ("Chester's Coach")

First of all, banish the teflon tape from your tool box. All it is good for is shredding little pieces and stopping up the air control valves. I like the yellow Rectorseal for pipe threads. The Loctite 545 is used on pipe threads where you may not be able to tighten them as tight as you normally would. It will seal threads that Rectorseal will not seal.

You don’t use any sealant on the compression side of the air fittings, only on the pipe thread side.

That’s my .02

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I am no expert in finding air leaks but the best tools I have run across so far are soap bubbles, sonic wands and Tom McCloud's ears, with Tom's ears being by far the best. Tom found several leaks for me when I was at his place back in April.

Glenn & Laureen Parker
Austin, Texas
1984 Newell 35'  (Coach #58? - not confirmed)
6v92 TA Detroit Diesel, MT654 Allison 5 speed trans
2005 Honda Element toad
2007 Honda S2000 fun car

Toms ears are so good because he lives out in the quiet desert and is used to listening for rattlesnakes.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

i have nearly perfect hearing. pretty amazing given i worked on jet fighters for almost 6 years. but unlike most of my fellow airman who said the jets were not loud (when they were not wearing ear protection), i wore both earplugs and headsets all the time.

small noises bug me if i dont know what they are.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Quote:  @rheavn

Steve; 

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=3645]     

Leakdown tester was the most important tool!  It tells you whether you have a leak or you don't.  Points you in a direction, but doesn't locate the leaks for you.  Allows you to eliminate lines, valves and components as you go.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=3646]   

Piece of air tubing with a union.  Used this in tight places to get leakdown tester away from other stuff like tubing, hoses & wiring.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=3647]   

Capped off piece of tubing.  Very useful in allowing you to test single components and take them out of the overall air system.  I have two of these.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=3648]   

This tool is used to inject compressed air into a line.  In trying to identify where lines go that are impossible to follow, this tool is very useful.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=3649]   

All of the tools shown are for 1/4" tubing.  I also have a complete identical set for 3/8" tubing.

For those that want to have some one else find your leaks this is the most important tool.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=3650]   

Good luck in your hunt.

Looks nice tool to hunt air leaks.
Could you let me know if there is a place where I can buy this tool?
If this tool must be self-made, could you elaborate on where I can purchase the components?

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

You can purchase everything you need to make your own tools at Amazon or McMaster.com

An ultrasonic leakdown tester must be purchased.  Many different brands from many different places.  A search will point you in the right direction.  This is the one I use.

https://www.amazon.com/INFICON-711-202-G...4299&psc=1

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

a few thoughts of mine.

i have a whisper ultrasonic tester as well. it has found many leaks. but...it is an skill to use i have found. and it is not the magic find every leak tool. it is part of the tool kit. i use over the ear headphones with mine.

i have made a number of test jigs. with several gauges, ball valves and various attachment hoses. all to be able to break air systems into smaller chunks and test which side leaks and the one that doesnt.

i use kids bubbles from the dollar store. like a dollar for a quart. and a sponge and spray bottle. (thanks richard)

i also have about a zillion dollars worth of various air fittings in a couple of carry on cases on hand.

like richard and steve and others, i have helped many find leaks. quite a few of you have been to my place and we have searched for and found leaks. and in some cases didnt

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH