You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tag axle wheel bearing seals

I have a seal leaking on my 1995 tax axle.  Has anyone changed the seals?  I have the wheel off.  It looks like the rotor is bolted to the hub but I'm not sure.  Can the hub be removed with taking the brake rotor and caliper apart?  See attached pictures.
Thanks,
Bill in Thibodaux

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1995 #398 45' SOLD

Let me clarify...Seal on driver's side tag wheel. It has disc brakes. Oil bath lubricated bearings. Also, does anyone know part numbers for seal and bearings? Should I change the bearings too? They were running cool. She's got about 200k miles.
Thanks,

1995 #398 45' SOLD

The hub must be unbolted from the rotor. I used a breaker bar and floor jack / hammer to loosen nuts. I left the rotor in place so I didn't have to disturb the brake pads and caliper. Seal is a Stemco 2110. My bearings look great so I'm not going to change them.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1995 #398 45' SOLD

I used a torque multiplier to breaks the lug nuts. It worked better than expected. My 1995 has left hand threads on left side. Tried to paste eBay link below.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Labor-Saving-Easy-...0408.m2460

1995 #398 45' SOLD

Bill,
Thanks for the info.  Looks like a very doable job.  I use a torque multiplier too with very good results.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

372-7097 is the updated part number for the Stemco seal. It comes with the seal and a wear ring. I had to visit several parts places before finding correct part.

1995 #398 45' SOLD

I am having trouble finding seals for my 2003 coach. Does anyone know if the 1995 axles are the same as the later models (2003?)

Thanks!

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I heard from Newell and they think the drive seals are the same for 1995 and 2003 coaches. They are not sure about the tag.

Any help would be appreciated. Has anyone put new seals on their 2000 vintage coach?

Thanks,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I hate to dog pile this thread...but here is some information.

The shop figured out the seals but I do not have the numbers they used. They found that the old seals had been installed incorrectly (failed to remove the ABS tone ring)...and apparently the last guys to work on it just found one that was correct diameter. So that may explain where the oil went. It apparently has been gone a long, long time.

In the meantime, Ron Skeen provided me some numbers from his experience. CR-47691, and CR-47697 are both the same part.

I will collect more information when I pick up the coach...The guys at Clarke Power in Knoxville have been great to work with and have really worked to find part numbers and replacement parts.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama