You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Headlight conversion to LED

After the circuit breaker for my headlights popped a couple times while using the brights I wanted a better solution than just upping the rating of the breaker. I also wanted to reduce the instrument fluctuations due to the headlights amp draw, I put the brights on my fuel level goes down noticeably.

The headlight in my 93 coach is from an 89 Ford F150 pickup. It uses a 9004 halogen bulb. I found Lifetime LEDs online that claim to be DOT compliant for their 9004 LED conversion. Most LEDs do not mention compliance.

Their LED bulb consumes 22w versus 45w for the halogen on low beam. The LED produces 2000 lumens versus 750 for the halogen on low beam. On high beam it is 30w versus 65w and 2600 lumens versus 1200. So these lights put out a lot more light using about half the power. The one thing they don't do well is get a lot brighter on high beam, but they start out with plenty on low beam.

I only changed the outside two bulbs. I will see what I think as I use them. I don't plan to drive a lot at night, but when I do I'd really like the lights to stay on.

I should also say that the white light from these LEDs makes the old lights next to them look very yellow.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

I am curious to find out if anyone has changed the halogen bulbs for LEDs in the smaller headlights used in the 2001 and later models.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I am interested in your findings on this , John.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

If you know the bulb number you can look it up as a cross-reference, otherwise if you know the standard vehicle you can look them up. The former is how I found mine.

I had to cut around the circumference of the ring that secures the bulb in the headlight assembly to reduce its depth so that it cleared the cooling blower part of the new bulb. Easy to do.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

There are several different 'colors' of LED - you probably have one that is 'blue' vs the 'yellow' looking ones (different Kelvin ratings). We had the blue in the interior of our last coach and they were very bright but harsh. I think they would be good for seeing at night but not sure. There are probably some drop in H4 replacements but I have not tried any. I think our lights have a relay on them so they should not drop voltage on other instruments...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40