You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air powered wipers

The wiper on the passenger side quit working, I have the unit removed but I don't see an obvious way to open it up and find out what's wrong.  The wiper arm wouldn't come off, I'll try using a puller if it needs to be removed.
Does anyone have a source for a manual, schematic, or any helpful advice for repairing it?
1983 classic, I didn't see any name on the wiper unit.

Thanks

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

Had to remove my wipers a few weeks ago to have my windshields replaced, and they were stuck so I sprayed some penetrating oil on the shaft and waited 15 minutes....they came right off!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

It's a Trico.
I was able to get the wiper arm off, it came off easily with a puller.
I lubed up the air motor with penetrating oil, then air tool oil and cycled it by hand, it now works with high pressure air but will not cycle when connected to the valve in dash.  Moving it while the air is on does not get it to move, it will turn back to the right when the air is shut off if it is on the left.
It seems like a valve is sticky; I took it all apart and cleaned it.  I can't easily split the case to get into the motor part.
Any ideas?

I can see fine on my side, the passenger wiper is just to make my wife feel better..... Smile

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

One of mine quit working so I took it apart and found that the plastic piece inside that controlled the movement had broken. I did find some places that claimed they could fix air wipers online, but decided to try epoxy to repair it. It works, but have decided that I'll replace the air motors with electric ones down the road. I prefer having the wiper controls on the turn signal switch with intermittent and washer control like all my cars.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

I know this is a very old thread, but this is my problem at this time. have a wiper air leak for the drivers side, which I can hear when I turn up the air pressure on the knob. BTW, thanks to Clarke for having me notice that the wipers can be sped up by the clockwise turning of the wiper control knobs ... my problem is I have not been able to lift up the dash control panel more than 1 inch . It is being bound up by something. tach, or spedo cable perhaps? I don't want to get to heavy handed. Any GURU experience with lifting up the driver control panel on the 80's classics? I would like to change out some other inop items while I am at it...

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Guy,

No experience at all with your dash, but I use a mirror on a stalk along with a flashlight to peer into otherwise inaccessible places. It might give you a clue about the restrictions.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Or you can go hi tech and get one of these for your laptop or phone:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRF...UTF8&psc=1

Actually works pretty good.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I have not tried to remove the dash yet, but have crawled under it. I too have some inoperable dash items, including wipers to be addressed down the road. My wiper motors are Trico APMP and found a source for parts at rometruckparts.com. Regarding your air leak, it seems to me the air supply pushes the blade back and forth, so theres 2 supply lines, and an exhaust. The exhaust just runs down through a hole in the floor. If the wipers work it may just be that this exhaust line has come off blowing air out under the dash instead of below the floor. I am not sure getting the dash out is going to be a huge help, the motor is still pretty far down and forward.

Marcus

Former caretaker of 1983 Newell, Cummins VT903, Allison 654CR

Thanks for the help. I will give a look with the light and mirror, Sometimes the simple things escape me... Time for me to get serious about this thing.
I have a constant leak and no wiper, so i think it might be the switch itself , but I need a good look at what I am dealing with. My mind ALWAYS takes me to the most serious of outcomes before I do the initial investigation.

Forest, that endoscope looks like a great idea and the price is right. I can always use it for a diy colonoscopy at a later date Smile

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

In addition to what's been said , Marvel Mystery Oil is your friend in anything that operates on air EXCEPT THE AIR DRYER. I can not tell you how many times I have used it to free sticky valves, regulators, motors , switches, etc. I periodically feed some in the air system PAST THE AIR DRYER to keep things ship shape. It works well for air tools also.

TOM

Delaware
Looking at Newells
Former coaches '72 MCI, '82 Wanderlodge, '91 HR Limited 40