You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New house battery charger?

I'm getting ready to replace the house batteries - probably something on the order of the Trojan T-105. I'm pretty sure the charger in coach is original equipment and doubtful the best choice for the chore. 

Any recommendations for a replacement charger? Planning on 4 or 6 batteries.

Marc

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

On my 77 coach I replaced the original charger with a Progressive Dynamics charger that had the "Charge Wizard" for 4 stage charging. It worked fine though the batteries used more water. The batteries lasted 8 years with that charger.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Ive got a Magnum Energy charger / inverter. Its nice and easy to use. It seems to produce plenty of power for charging and for inverted loads. I've been running exclusively on it for about 6 months since I took the belt off my ac compressor which also disables the engine alternator…I'm using the inverter charger for everything even when running down the road (I'm obliged to run the gen this way).
With the Magnum (MagnaSine is the model I think) the batteries do not seem to consume any water which is a stark contrast to my previous coach charger that would practically boil batteries dry if left on for extended periods.
I topped up my batteries about 8-10 months ago and just checked them again last weekend. I expected a bad day and that they would be very low due to my neglect, but I was pleasantly surprised that they were all right where I left them.
I even drained them completely of power (by accident / problem) and recharged them once.
I hear it shortens their life to do that but it's just what happened.
I vote for the Magnum but I've heard good things about Outback charger/inverters.

Jonathan Shetler
1999 Newell 510
Ft Lauderdale, FL

If you're just going for a charger then I would agree with Jon. Replaced my original one stage battery boiler with a 4 stage Progressive Dynamics. Batteries use almost NO water, and am getting about 6-7 years out of my 8d batteties.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Just another thought...do you have an Inverter?
I am using 4 each Trojan T105 "Golf Cart" Batteries and they have typically lasted 7 years or so. We have a Heart Combi 458 Inverter/Charger. I do not leave it on in the charge position but monitor my batteries and charge as needed because we are usually where we only have 30 Amp service or Dry-Camping. On my "antique" remote panel I can choose what amperage is coming in and typically tell it that it has 5 Amps unless charging with the generator.
I agree that the Magnum and Outback are superior today because they have much better charging regulation but my Heart is still doing it's job so "if it ain't broke"
I have read good things about the Progressive Dynamics and the only complaint that I have is that the screw that make the cable connection actually makes contact with the cable itself (could possibly damage the cable when tightening). I discussed this with them a few years ago and they stated that it was "not marine grade" and gave me a part number for one that was.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Can't imagine the inverter in the coach is operational - betting its original, a Winco.

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

It wouldn't surprise me if the inverter was working. You may not like the cleanliness of the output, but it could be working. After 35 years the amount of stuff in the 77 coach I used to own that still worked was simply amazing.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed